etienne girardet Xh6BpT 1tXo unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
etienne girardet Xh6BpT 1tXo unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

What I Wish I Knew Then: A Letter to My Young Self

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at C Mich chapter.

I recently read an article in which a twenty-two year old woman wrote about the wisdoms that she wishes she could share with her young self. This inspired me a lot because as everyone knows hindsight is 20/20, and there a lot of things we wish we could go back in time and change. Below is a list of some of the knowledge I have today that I wish I could impart on my younger self, an insecure girl who would have benefited from this information!

1. Not everyone is going to like you: Young Colleen, you are far too hard on yourself. I know you take it very personally when someone “disses” you or doesn’t seem to get your sense of humor. Don’t change who you are just because someone doesn’t understand you. You will learn later on that it is the things that make you unique that will become your most prized attributes. What makes you feel “different” now, will make you feel special in the future. Do not conform! You will find a group of people who love and respect you for who you are. Be more open at school and show people who you really are. The reception will be a lot warmer than you think!

2. Popularity isn’t everything: I know you aren’t one of the most popular girls at school. At this point in your life, status seems like everything, but I am telling you, it isn’t. Once you get to college, you will learn that having three good friends is much more valuable than having eighteen ‘so-so’ friends.  You may not realize it now, but some of the best friends you will ever have are already in your life. When it comes to friendship, quality trumps quantity, and you have some of the most quality friends around.

3. Your parents are the best: Colleen, be nicer to your parents. You have/will put them through a lot and they will always support you. Your mom and dad will never stop believing in you even though you feel like you’ve given them every reason not to. I know you’re embarrassed to sit with them at football games and go on walks with them in the neighborhood — you’re being foolish. When you’re older, you’ll be beyond proud to call them your parents. You will also feel the need to post an excessive amount of Facebook statuses about how truly awesome they are. You have been blessed with two amazing role models and you will be lucky if you grow up to be even a third of the great people that they are.

4. Don’t diss others to make yourself feel better: “Calling someone fat won’t make you any skinner. Calling someone stupid doesn’t make you any smarter. Ruining someone’s life won’t make yours any better. The only thing that you can do in life is solve the problem that’s in front of you”. This line from the movie Mean Girls is one of my favorite quotes of all time. Live by these words. You never know what someone is going through and talking trash will only make you feel bad about yourself. See the good in everyone, as hard as that may be at times.

5. You’re good enough: I know you’ve been knocked down a few times but these tough times will only make you stronger. That boy that made fun of your acne will Facebook message you as soon as it clears up… and you will gladly deny. Also, don’t listen to the people that tell you that your sister is prettier than you.  I know you feel like you have to live up to your sister but you need to realize that no good will come from comparing yourself to someone else. You may not be voted “Best Looking” in mock elections like she was, but you are beautiful just the way you are. Ask yourself, would my life have more meaning if I appeared in the yearbook a few more times? No, it would not. Just because you did not stand out in high school does not mean you will never have your time to shine. Don’t put yourself down. Focus on building yourself up and realize your potential…you can do anything you set your mind to if you just believe in yourself.

6. The past is the past: Yes, you’ve done a lot of things that you regret. There is not one person on this planet that hasn’t regretted something at one point in their life. However, you cannot go back in time and change what you’ve done. You will only find happiness when you accept yourself and the decisions you’ve made. Living in regret only wastes your time. Use past mistakes as lessons for the future and become the person you’ve always wanted to be.