Valentine’s Day Recipes Sure to Spice Things Up

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at C Mich chapter.

Well it’s here again. That one day out of the year where love is spread, shared and expressed to significant others all across the country. Valentine’s Day is for the lovers out there, and what’s a better way to a mans heart than through his stomach,  right? Whether you’re dining out or staying in on Valentines Day, keep these sexy foods in mind and make that love spark a passion flame. An aphrodisiac is anything (most commonly food or scent) that stimulates sexual desire (ow ow). The word “aphrodisiac” originates from the Greek goddess, Aphrodite, the god of sexuality and love. Here are the top foods full of aphrodisiacs perfect for Valentines Day:

Asparagus and avocados:

These green veggies are packed full of vitamin E, essential in producing hormones such as estrogen and testosterone. These hormones, once they’re released into the bloodstream, stimulate sexual responses. 

Hot chilies:

A chemical in these chilies called capsaicin increases blood flow and stimulates your nerve endings making you feel more turned on.  HOT, HOT, HOT.

Bananas:

I mean, c’mon, did we NOT think these would be on this list? These well-endowed shaped fruits bring sexual tension to the next level. Potassium from the bananas is a key nutrient in building muscle. Eat your bananas and build those kegel muscles for toe curling orgasms.

Chocolate:

There’s a chemical in chocolate that makes the mere idea of sex, appetizing. Phenyl-ethylamine stimulates feelings of happiness and excitement. Even if you’re dateless this Valentines, buy your self a box of chocolate and wallow in your own happiness.

Oysters:

Want to try something new and turn up the heat, hotter than ever before? Try oysters. This classic shellfish or “food of lovers” is the number one choice for an aphrodisiac experience. Oysters are packed of zinc, known for cranking up levels of testosterone, which cranks up sex drive. I’d say these are the perfect sea treat.

Pomegranates:

This one may come as a shocker but pomegranates are known for their passion. Poms are full of antioxidants that protect blood vessels, allowing more blood to flow. The more the blood flows, the more sensitive your sweet spot.

Red Wine:

Hello! It doesn’t take a genius to tell someone that alcohol increases sexual desire. However, red wine contains an antioxidant to speed up the process. Resveratrol boosts blood flow and circulation before and after sexy time. A bottle of the red stuff will keep you goin’.

Now time to cook it up.

If you’re staying in with your boo thing, here’s a recipe that’ll surely knock his socks off, keep him satisfied and wanting more.  ;) Start off with a glass of your favorite red wine. My favorite is a dark cabernet, Silver Palm (available at Meijer).

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

In a shallow baking pan, lay 3-4 pieces of fresh salmon (also a known aphrodisiac).

Top each breast with a dollop of butter, garlic, salt, pepper and a lemon slice.

Line the remainder of the pan with 8-10 asparagus trees. Make sure to also cover these with some butter (or olive oil) and garlic to give them a little more flavor.

Once the oven is preheated, place baking pan inside and let bake for 20-30 minutes.

If you’re the adventurous type, pick up about one pound of oysters from your local seafood market. Be sure to brush off each oyster shell so the dirt and grime is off, you don’t want to eat that!

In a large saucepan, pour oysters in and add about 2-3 inches of water to the pan. Bring to a boil. Dribble a bit of your red wine in the pot to give it a little more flavor. Keep the pan covered and the burner on medium-medium high heat for 10 or so minutes until all oysters are steamed (you’ll notice the shell start to crack open).

Slurp and enjoy!

*Fill up your empty wine glass now.*

Time for dessert!

Who said fondue was a thing of the ‘70s? We’re bringin’ it back.

In a double boiler, melt down a bag of semi-sweet chocolate morsels.

Cut up 3-4 bananas, strawberries, oranges or any fruit you want, into bite size pieces.

Use a wooden stick (or fork if you don’t care about being fancy) to skewer the fruit and dip into the melted chocolate.

Feed your lover his favorite fruit and watch that smile grow.

Gabi is a junior from Chicago, Illinois studying Advertising with minors in Journalism and Spanish. She is an active member of the Phi Sigma Sigma sorority. Gabi is a sports fanatic, as well as a fashion enthusiast. She hopes to work in the fashion industry while living in the Windy City.