This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at C Mich chapter.

If you’ve ever had a dog, you know that the bond you share is unbreakable. I’ve had two dogs during my lifetime, both very different, yet still similar in so many ways. I got a black lab a little over a year ago and sometimes I swear there are things she’ll never learn or understand, and it can be EXTREMELY frustrating. Then I realized the same thing can be said about humans. We always claim that we are the ones who have taught our dogs everything they know, but as I’ve grown older I’ve realized I have learned just as much from my dogs as they have learned from me. Here are some life lessons I’ve learned from my dogs:

• Give everybody a chance,

• Try everything once.

• Enjoy the car rides.

• When loved ones come home, run and greet them.

• Make time for a daily workout.

• Live in the moment.

• Forgive and move on.

• Bond with your family.

• Make your own fun.

• Let others know when they have invaded your territory.

• Get excited about the little things.

• Love unconditionally.

• It doesn’t always take a lot to make someone smile.

• Show off your talents.

• It’s okay to be afraid.

• Never give up.

• If what you want lies buried, dig until you find it.

• Make yourself be heard.

• Some days it’s okay to just eat and sleep.

• Play daily.

• There are worse things in life than muddy paws on the carpet.

• Chase after your dreams.

• Enjoy the simplicity of long walks.

• Don’t pretend to be something you are not.

• Be loyal.

• Trust others.

• Make new friends.

• Be grateful.

• Learn new tricks no matter your age.

• Avoid biting when a simple growl will do.

• Be brave no matter your size.

• Remind your loved ones how much you love them.

• We never, ever get enough time.

Annie McLean

C Mich '21

Hey! My name is Annie and I'm majoring in Integrative Public Relations and minoring in Multimedia Design at Central Michigan University. I love drawing and painting and I spend a lot of my time outdoors, more specifically on the water. I love to paddle board, boat, kayak, rollerblade, and bike. I LIVE for dogs and I would own 500 if I could. I have a black lab puppy named Luna and I miss her everyday I'm here at CMU. I love to listen to music, my taste is pretty diverse, but I am especially into 90s pop and alternative. My guilty pleasure is watching Keeping Up With The Kardashians, yes I know, but I am ADDICTED. My ultimate goal is to hopefully run social media platforms for a large company such as Victoria's Secret or Kylie Cosmetics.