These Boots are Made for Walking

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at C Mich chapter.

Fall has finally fallen on Central Michigan.  The leaves are changing color, there is a chill in the air, and the boots are back!  This year on campus you want to be walking, not stomping around.  More importantly you want to look cute when walking to class or going out for the night.

Just like in fashion, shoe trends change from year to year.  We can all remember how a couple years ago UGG’s were all the rage. Now, I’m not saying they aren’t cute, or that people don’t wear them anymore, they just don’t have the same social standing today.  Recently we have seen the boot trends taking on a more “rocker” or “tribal” design aspect.  Either of these styles are great, so you can’t go wrong. 

Here are the top 5 boot trends will keep you looking stylish this fall.

1. The Riding boot: When some people think of riding boots, the image of horses and polo comes to mind.  Well, these boots have made it out of the stables!  These flat boots are perfect for tall girls or ones that don’t want to walk around in heels.  Decorative trim such as zippers and buckles makes them the perfect balance of pizazz and boring.  They come in a variety of colors and look great when paired with skinny jeans and a cute sweater.

1. The Combat boot: These boots have been all over the shoe trend world.  Celebrities like Leighton Meester and Jessica Alba have been known to rock these boots when going out.  Traditionally, the boots have been on the plainer side, but now you can also get them with studs and buckles.  It’s an easy way to rock the badass look without worrying about what others will say (you shouldn’t worry anyway!). Pair them with a blazer and great makeup for a killer look.

1. The Moccasin boot: Also known as the fringe boots, they are one of the up-and-coming boot trends.  They have come a long way from what Pocahontas wore in the cartoon.  These boots come in different colors and lengths.  Feathers, beads, and fringe cover the boots and show movement as you walk across campus.  Wear them with a scarf for a fun and flirty look.

1. Booties/Shorties: These boots are your go-to boots when going out.  They are a blend of comfort and style — my personal favorite!  They can really make your outfit stand out in a crowd.  You can go for more elaborate styles or play it safe with classic black.  Wearing animal print booties is a great way to incorporate print into your outfit without going overbroad. You should be wearing the print, the print should not be wearing you.
  1. Cut-outs:  These boots are another up-and-coming trend.  They essentially cover your foot, but parts of them are cut out.  It varies from mild to extreme.  These boots add a sexy touch to any outfit. What girl doesn’t want to look sexy when she goes out for the night?!  When wearing these boots, keep in mind that your foot is out in the open for all to see.  Keep your toes polished, nobody wants to see naked toes!

Hi my name is Kristen Skiera. I am a junior at Central Michigan University. I am majoring in Public Relations and minoring in Fashion Merchandising.