Super Bowl XLVIII Rundown: How do the Broncos and Seahawks Match Up?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at C Mich chapter.

With football season quickly coming to an end, NFL junkies couldn’t be happier with the Super Bowl XLVIII matchup. The NFC Seattle Seahawks champs and the AFC Denver Broncos champs are both heading to New Jersey to play in the first Super Bowl, which is to be held outdoors in a cold weather environment.

Aside from the weather being a factor, the team match-up is also crucial. Broncos’ quarterback, Peyton Manning, has outstanding receivers, including Demaryius Thomas, Eric Decker, and Wes Welker. However, the Seahawks are the leagues’ top-ranked defense with aggressive defensive players, like Earl Thomas, and who could forget, Richard Sherman. Having a team built up of old and young, both in terms of Super Bowl appearances and age, this game is one you don’t want to miss. So, let’s see how these two teams match up to one another.

Denver BroncosRecord: 13-3Coach: John FoxOffensive Rank: 1Defensive Rank: 19

QB: Peyton Manning Third Super Bowl appearance, with 1 super bowl win back in 2007 with the Colts. Manning is also a vet having been in the NFL for 16 seasons and if the Broncos can defeat the Seahawks, this will make Manning the second oldest QB to win a Super Bowl.

RB: Knowshon MorenoBreaking through the D-line, and still running like hell is one of Moreno’s specialties. Moreno is known for being not only a physical running back, but also for his speed and versatility. Not only can he run the ball, but his receiving game isn’t too shabby either. Moreno had 548 yards on 60 receptions as a receiver.

WR: Demaryius Thomas One of the greatest advantages that Thomas has over most cornerbacks is that he is a big-bodied receiver. He was even Manning’s go-to guy during the playoffs. For his size, Thomas is actually quite quick, and to give you an idea of just how quick he is, take a look at his numbers: Thomas ran his 40 yard dash in 4.38 seconds.

CB: Champ BaileyThis 15-year vet is probably the hungriest player for a W. After 15 years and six playoff appearances, he has finally made it to the Super Bowl. It also didn’t help that Bailey was out for most of the season. Being a vet and 12-time Pro Bowler, it will be no surprise that Champ Bailey will play hard and defend harder. 

Seattle SeahawksRecord: 13-3Coach: Pete CarrollOffensive Rank: 17Defensive Rank: 1

QB: Russell WilsonThis will be Wilson’s first appearance in a Super Bowl, but don’t let his title as a sophomore fool you. Wilson’s rushing yards per game average (32.1) is over 11 times more than Manning (2.9), not to mention he has big hands, so you know what that means…better grip to hurl the ball down the field, of course! Wilson’s hand measures an astonishing 10 inches from pinky to thumb, while the average male measures only 7 inches. You could say he has the “upper hand”.

RB: Marshawn LynchProbably the biggest asset to helping Wilson reach his high rushing yards would be due to Marshawn Lynch. Just this season he was ranked fourth in rushing, and had 12 touchdowns. The Broncos’ biggest obstacle and key to victory is trying to stop Lynch. Will Lynch enter “Beast Mode” to take home a W for the Seahawks?

WR: Percy HarvinAfter getting a concussion, Harvin has been cleared to play, and has since returned to practice with his team for the Super Bowl. Although Harvin only played one game in the regular season, he is still essential to the team. Wilson has WR Golden Tate and Doug Baldwin, but having Harvin as back up, especially as a ball carrier, will be a great advantage to the team.

CB: Richard ShermanAside from Sherman’s latest postgame rant, he is still a force to be reckoned with. During this season alone, he picked off eight passes, and allowed as little as two catches a game. You could say both Thomas and Manning have a wall they have to work around. 

Find out who will get to lift the Lombardi trophy in victory on February 2, 2014 at 6:30 p.m.

Anastasha is a senior at Central Michigan University. She is studying public relations and journalism. She is from a small town called Holt which is just south of Lansing, MI. Anastasha is both a politics and sports enthusiast. She is also a dedicated runner and a chocolate and wine connoisseur.