This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at C Mich chapter.

For those of you new to this whole “pay $10 a month and get a pink box in the mail” BirchBox business, here’s the skinny.

If you love makeup, hair products, and beauty accessories but can’t afford to buy full sizes of the newest, life-changing beauty products to try then BirchBox is the perfect gift to get yourself. You pay $10 a month for one box that contains 4-5 beauty samples that you can review online for points. Each review is 10 points and for every 100 points you get $10 to spend online. In theory, every two-three boxes can earn you $10.

You can personalize the products you get by updating your profile with your hair and skin type and any other specifications needed.

Keep in mind that this isn’t Revlon, Nutregena, or Maybeline but higher end brands like Benefit and Jouer. So it is well worth the $10. 

Here’s a review of the products I’ve gotten over the summer!

1. Pilot Corporation of America // Acroball PureWhite // To some people, a pen is a pen. To a writer pens are special and rated on a scale of one to ten. This pen rates somewhere in the middle mostly because I still don’t understand why I got a pen in my BirchBox. 

2. Sumita // Color Contrast Eyeliner // While I struggle with the foundation basics of the makeup department, eye makeup is where I feel comfortable so this eye liner was right up my alley. It’s one of the smoothest liners I have ever worn and the grey shade I got is perfect for doing a black smokey eye. There’s about ten other colors online that would compliment every eye color too. 

3. COOLA // Classic SPF 30 Cucumber Moisturizer for Face // The fact that I still have this sample shows how not life-changing it is. I’m very into skin care so my day moisturizer already has SPF in it and looking at this product I saw it more as a beach moisturizer/sunscreen. It’s a sunscreen and smells like cucumber, but for those with sensitive skin beware: My roommate also got this in her May BB and said it made her skin break out in a rash and burned. Mine on the other hand, reacted fine.

4. Marvis // Toothpaste // Uneventful product #3 in my May BB. It’s minty toothpaste. It foamed up nicely in my mouth and cleaned my teeth. 

5. DevaCurl // 3-Step System // Finally, the diamond in the rough. These three products are the salvation curly haired girls everywhere are looking for. I used these in the middle of summer and my hair did not frizz or get puffy, it was calm and sleek. Yes, my curls were sleek! This is hands down the best product I’ve found for curly hair.

1. Suki // Exfoliate Foaming Cleanser // This lemon face cleanser of heaven was gone in only three days. Mostly because the sample was tiny, but also because I fell in love with it. The lemon scent makes it a good morning face exfoliant and it’s not too rough like other exfoliants that require a heavy moisturizer afterwards.

2. Klorane // Gentle Dry Shampoo with Oat Milk // Dry shampoo and curly hair don’t mix too well, for me anyway, so there’s no excitement from me about this product. It does have a nice scent though and doesn’t sit heavy on my hair. The one thing I did notice about this dry shampoo opposed to my others is the shine it left behind. Not a bad shine, just a healthy, clean shine.

3. S.W Basics // Lip Balm Flights // Of the four flavors, I received the cocoa one which I love. While I have 5 Eos and an odd number of baby lips, I really like this balm because it smells great and is natural. I’ve been using it under lipstick or lipgloss and it hold pretty well and helps whatever I put on top stay longer. 

4. Tweezerman // Filemate // Ehh. Nothing spectacular here. They’re tiny nail files, about the size of a matchbook, perfect to throw in your purse but they don’t last very long. It took one and a half of these to file all ten nails and afterwards I wasn’t very impressed. They are nice for emergencies though!

5. Color Club // Wonderlust Collection // This comes in a pack of four if you buy it offline, but in my BB I got the mint green color and I loved it. So much that I gave it away, makes sense right? It is spring color and it’s pastel, which has been “in” this season. It paints on smooth and the chip to wear ratio isn’t bad, but it’s not great. I gave it away to a co-worker for her daughter before I left for the summer, but I would definitely buy it again. The other three colors are very pretty and also pastel.

1. BirchBox // Bobby Pins // I love the idea of these because they have print on them and are more study than regular bobby pins, but aside from the idea being great I wouldn’t recommend these pins. Not for curly, dark hair anyways. They’re too tight and ruin my curls when I wear them and they also tear my hair out when I try to take them out. They come in three colors: white, blue, and green. 

2. Curly Hair Solutions // Curl Keeper // Another amazing hair product for my curls. Instead of a gel, moouse, or cream this is a serum. You let you hair dry a little then rub a dime sized amount through your hair and wait for the curl fairy to come grace you with shiny curls. Once it’s almost dry you can take the diffuser to it and wa-la! Perfect curls that don’t have a ton of product! One of the most unique things about this is that it’s water based, preventing the crunch and goo other products leave behind. 

3. DDF // Acne Control Treatment // Aside from hair products, skin products are my second obsession. I’ve had bad skin since middle school and through experimenting with diet and different treatments I’ve finally got it under control. This product is a great moisturizer, has the salicylic you need to clean pores, but it also has glycerin which is naturally found in skin and acts as a protective barrier against dryness. 

4. Dr. Jart // Ceramindin Cream // This is another moisturizer but with a different ingredient to retain moisture. It contains ceramides, something that dry skin lacks, to fight against irritation, redness, and drying. It also contains folic acids to prevent DNA damage and protect against some UV rays. My roommate also got this in her box and said it makes a great primer. I haven’t tried it myself yet, but I trust her opinion. Side note: It has specific ingredients for treating eczema. 

5. theBalm // Long Wearing Powder Staining Blush // I don’t usually wear blush or bronzer because one, I don’t know how to put it on without looking like a clown, and two, I feel like I have a naturally red face. But for the sake of yolo I tried it out and I found that I like blush. I like this blush. The color I got wasn’t too orange and not too pink, so I like the subtle touch it has. 

So there you have it. This pink box is only $10 and it’s full of life-changing beauty products. What more could you ask for?

Also, if you decide to sign up make sure you use me, Lacey Johnson, as the person who referred you. As you refer friends tell them to do the same to help you gain more points for money! Click this link: http://birch.ly/18qpnNN

I'm an 20-year-old college girl trying to get my life together. I'm majoring in News Editorial Public Relations some kind of Journalism at Central Michigan University and hoping one day I'll love every minute of it.Eat, Pray, Love is the first book I've ever read whose style is comparable to my own. Read that book, like it, and you might have a sweet tooth for my writing. If not, well, I'm not one to lose sleep over people not liking me. Other than writing my days are spent in class, at the gym, or in my room tearing my hair out because I procrastinated on my homework. Did I mention I like cats?