This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at C Mich chapter.

Succulents. Lately, we’ve seen these wonderful little plants become a big trend. They even have a cactus and succulent “festival” in Ann Arbor every year.

These cute little plants are pretty easy to take care of, versus other houseplants. Succulents store water in their leaves, and they can survive in dry climates. They do not like a like of humidity, though. They do need water like any other plant, but they can endure long periods of drought since the water and nutrients are stored in their leaves. (This is great for college kids who forget to water plants all the time.

So you want to take care of your own succulents? Here are some tips on how to care for them.

You can purchase succulents almost anywhere, I’ve bought a few for a decent price at Meijer.

Most varieties of succulents need at least half a day to a full day of sunlight. In extremely hot areas, some afternoon shade is recommended.

When planting the succulent or moving it into another pot, make sure the soil level remains the same depth on the plant. Once placed, the succulents will benefit from a layer of pebbles spread on the soil around the plant.

Succulents need good draining soil. When planting in a pot,  you can purchase cactus soil, or incorporate sand or gravel for better drainage. The container you are planting in should have a drainage hole or put crushed rock on the bottom before your planting medium.

Water the succulents well, and allow the soil to dry slightly between waterings.

Most succulents need very little fertilizer. Watering with a well-balanced fertilizer once a month will be all they need.

Succulents can be quite easy to take care of. They come in all sorts of varieties, so these make awesome plants if you are curious about becoming a plant lady!

Sara is an Integrative Public Relations Major at Central Michigan University. She hopes to work in a PR agency one day, managing social media for clients. When she's not reading yet another book from one of her three bookshelves, she can be found cuddling her cats, Luna and Selene.