This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at C Mich chapter.

Sadly, we all do have to leave Central Michigan University at some point.  Even though some of us may never want to leave, we know we will forever have the wonderful memories. Once we graduate, we will be in the real world and have to get real jobs. Scary, I know!  Looking for a job right after graduation can be daunting.  Here are some tips so you won’t have a stress!

Career Services

Use career services while you are here at CMU.  All of their services are free and they are there to help you. Send them your resume and cover letter and have them look it over.  Schedule a time to do a mock interview, it will be good practice.  Or just go and talk to them, they have a lot of great tips and are there to help you.

Get Involved

This is really important and something that isn’t stressed enough. Don’t wait until the last minute to get involved, start as soon as you can.  You want to have something that sets you apart than everyone else. So join a club, volunteer, play a sport, get a job… anything!  This will give you great experiences and you’ll be able to add the professional development skills learned on your resume.  You will be surprised with all of the things you will learn and how much fun you will have while doing it.

Internships

Most jobs are requiring that you have some sort of internship experience beforehand. So do your research because there are plenty of internships out there.  Most are unpaid but there are a few paid internships. Just don’t be picky! This will help you so that anywhere you go, you will be valuable experience. This will help you get your feet wet and will help you discover what you really want to do once you leave school.  There are internships everywhere, so if you want a change of scenery, apply for some in a different state or do an internship aboard.  What have you go to lose? Start looking today!

Social Media

Social media is something that is growing fast; you won’t be able to survive in this fast-pace world without knowing the ropes.  So use social media to your advantage.  Employers do look at your social media accounts, so instead of dreading it, embrace it!  Create your brand; make a Twitter, Facebook and LinkedIn. Also, make an online portfolio using LinkedIn. All of these things are easy to make and will help you in your professional career.

Apply

Apply everywhere! It won’t hurt and you want to keep your options open.  Remember to be confident and know that you have a lot of offer.  So brag about yourself and apply everywhere that you are interested.  Share some things taht would set you apart from other applicants. Even something that puts you out of your comfort zone may be something you end up loving.  One thing you should always remember is to keep an open mind. You can’t always be super picky about where you may end up for your first job.  After you do apply, always remember to follow up so the employer knows that you are still interested.

Interview

When you do get the call for an interview, there are a few things you need to do beforehand to nail the interview. Do your research about the company before your interview. If you know things about the company beforehand, the employer will be very impressed you took the extra time to get to know the company you are interested in working for. Also, be prepared. Practice interview questions in the mirror.  Prepare questions of your own to ask the interviewer at the end. This is your first impression to them, so always wear a smile and professional clothing.  It is important to be dressed appropriately.  You would much rather be overdressed than underdressed.  So put on your best clothes and knock them out of the park!