Stop Saying You’ll be Single Forever When You’re Still in College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at C Mich chapter.

Every time I go on social media I feel that there is always someone or some account posting about how “all college guys suck” and “love doesn’t exist in college.” Well I’m here to tell you that this is something we college students shouldn’t be so focused on.

I can honestly say that once a week I hear someone degrade him/herself, saying that he/she will never find a someone to love them or how they won’t be able to settle down. The thing is, we as college students aren’t in college to find the love of our lives. Surprise! We’re here for an education. It has been engraved in our minds that we need to find love or need to find stability, when in all honesty, we need to find and ourselves. I’ve said it before, and I’ll say it again, stop focusing on finding a significant other in college!

Believe me when I say this, I was a hopeless romantic my first two years at the university. Any pencil drop or accidental bump in the hallway, I thought it was fate. I slowly learned that I found more peace of mind knowing that someday I’d find someone to chase me, instead of being the one who always chases the idea of love. College is about discovering yourself, and trying new things. It’s about gaining 15 pounds, and losing 20. It’s about going to a class where you know absolutely no one and walking out with five new friends.

Going to college at such a young age really opens up our opportunities to define ourselves while being independent. Whether its sexually, mentally, physically, etc. college is all about change. This is why I’m a firm believer that timing is everything. So next time you want to complain or feel sad that you haven’t found the “one” in college, think about all the other amazing things you have gained. For me, it’s been self-confidence and finding my whole damn wedding party. But who knows, maybe that accidental bump in the hallway could be my next boyfriend, but for now I’ll stick to “Wine Wednesday” with my girlfriends.

Hi there! My name is Emily and I am a junior at Central Michigan University. I have a double major in Information Systems and Human Resource Management. I am also involved in Sigma Kappa sorority, and spend my free time volunteering and exploring. My favorite place to be is on the water and I love the color blue. I write randomly to let out some steam, and a good chunk of these articles weren’t planned topics and came sporadically. I hope you enjoy!