This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at C Mich chapter.

STDs are said to be socially stigmatized in society. To put it another way, people are judged for being infected with STDs.

Why does it seem like STD infections are associated with negative responses? Many people find someone dirty or slutty because they were diagnosed with an STD; Sex is quite a judgemental subject.

The truth is, there’s really no reason to stigmatize STDs. Why exactly?

1. STD’s are merely infections. They can infect anyone, no matter the age, gender or race. In fact, at least half of sexually active teens and young adults will get an STD by the time they’re 25.

2. It only takes one partner and usually one time having sex to end up with an STD. Having an STD says nothing about your sexual history, except that you didn’t reliably practice safe sex.

3. Most STIs are asymptomatic. In simpler terms, The only way to know if you have an STD is to get tested regularly.  The profound degree of social stigma associated with a positive diagnosis is a huge problem. Many people decide they’d rather not know their status. Therefore people often spend years spreading diseases before they experience any serious personal consequences. They think that if they don’t know, then they don’t have to lie about it or risk rejection.

4. STD’s are incredibly common. For example, HPV infects more than half of the sexually active population.

5. Women are more vulnerable to the effects of an STD infection. Vaginas are a good environment for bacteria to grow and the lining of the vagina is thinner and more delicate than the skin of a penis, therefore it’s easier for bacteria and viruses to pass through.

Essentially, if you get an STD, it’s not the end of the world. Breathe. Relax. All STDs like gonorrhea or chlamydia can be treated. It doesn’t make you dirty or a slut. Sex is completely normal. Therefore, if you are infected with an STD, it’s quite normal for that to happen, especially on your first time. However, the real cure for the STD stigma is better sex education. Learning about the common diseases and how they’re treated can help you gain more knowledge of STDs and prepare for when you might be infected. Having an open and honest conversation with your partner about sex can help clear the air and bring the both of you closer.

The most important action is to get tested! Getting tested for STDs is usually quick, easy and painless. For example, rapid HIV tests can provide results in as little as 20 minutes from just a mouth swab, and many STD tests just require urinating in a cup. Early treatment can help prevent serious, lifelong health problems that can result from untreated STDs. Also please, please practice safe sex. While it not a 100% chance you won’t get an STD, using condoms and dental dams regularly can help prevent STDs. After all, safe sex is great sex!

Loreal Nix

C Mich '21

Loreal Nix is a student at Central Michigan University majoring in Journalism with a minor in Broadcast and Cinematic Arts. She works for a multitude of publications, such as EMCEE and CM Life. Loreal strives to be influential to women, especially black women and insists that any woman can pursue a journalism career being 100% themselves, not conforming to social standards. She recently started her own personal blog titled "Live In The Mix", which is featured on her social media.