samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Spring Break Bucket List

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at C Mich chapter.

The best time of the year is just a few short days away. You guessed it — SPRING BREAK! So, pack your bags, grab your new bathing suit, and follow this bucket list for the days you are spending in warm paradise. Remember: what happens on the beach, stays on the beach. (Seriously, do not Instagram that.)

1. Stay awake for an entire 24 hours

(Those of you road-tripping, you get off easy… or not-so easy, depending on how you feel about that long drive you are about to endure). College spring break is like NYC on steroids — it is the week that never sleeps. Sure, you will need a good nights sleep here and there, but we guarantee there will be something going on at ALL hours of the day that you will not want to miss out on.

2. Get to know someone who is not from your school 

College students who are going on spring break usually travel with a big group of friends. Even though you are there to make memories with your best friends, venture off and make a few new friends along the beach. You certainly will not run out of new faces and the upside is, whatever wild thing you do, it does not matter because chances are you will never see them again!

3. Ditch your cell phone for a day

I know you want to take pictures; we all do, but throw it back old school and leave the phones behind. You do not realize how much you miss with an iPhone in your hand. Spring break is a week that you will never get back, and your phone will be waiting for you in your hotel room. It will be the best day of break without having to worry about who tweeted you, or snapping a picture at every moment.

4. Bong a beer

This can be an unpleasant experience for a lot of people — but hey — you are on the beach in your bathing suit, soaking up the rays, and without a problem in the world. Drinking a nice cold beer in a few seconds certainly won’t ruin your day. For those of you who are beer bong champs, well, high-five! #SpringBreak

5. Fly your school flag

A little school pride goes a long way when you are surrounded by thousands of other college students. Suddenly, you become the biggest fan of your university. Say it loud and say it proud.

#ChipFact: At PCB 2013, many spring breakers chanted, “Fire Up, Chips.” Do your school proud!

6. Enter a competition

Whether it is a hot bod contest on stage in front of thousands or a dance off, you are in the prime of your life, so do not be shy! Win that Spring Break 2014 t-shirt that you will hang up on your wall with pride, OR chances are when you don’t win, you will make a great memory to laugh about on the drive home.

7. Do a bar crawl

Finally, you can stand outside without freezing your limbs off, so spend one night hopping from bar to bar and club to club. Night life hot spots in the south are completely different from the ones further north. Half outdoors and half indoors, you will find live bands and fruity piña coladas, so get a taste of the night scene in paradise.

8. Ride a mechanical bull

You are in the south — at least one bar will have a mechanical bull. Hop on, grab the reigns, and go for a ride.

9. Sing karaoke

Your confidence on spring break should be at an all-time high. Jump on stage and belt out your favorite song as a soloist or have a duet with your best friend. If you really want to throw it back, act as spring break’s very own Spice Girls or Backstreet Boys with your crew.

10. Kiss a stranger

This is the bucket list item that goes without being said. Don’t kiss the kid the that you sit next to in Chem 201, that will just be awkward next Monday. Catch the eye of that cute boy with a deep southern accent, because you will never see him again.

11. Don’t sleep in.

Yes, of course you will be tired and chances are you will still be in your bathing suit from yesterday, but try to wake up and get on that beach because it will already be packed by 10 AM, and you do not want miss out on any of the fun.

12. Flirt with someone

I am not saying pick up a rando at the bar and bring him home, but find your inner Carrie Bradshaw, and walk up to that cute guy you have had your eye on. Make sure to dazzle him with your radiating confidence. 

13. Get a piercing or a tattoo

Tattoos are permanent but if you have been jonesing for one for the past six months, spring break is the perfect time to gain the courage to go for it. If you are not feeling that permanently adventurous, get a piercing (belly button, nose, or even a new ear piercing). Being able to say, “yeah, I got it on spring break,” will be the best part.

14. Get classy

For one night, ditch your bikini and put on that little dress and wedges you have been dying to wear. Treat yourself to a nice dinner and drinks with your friends.

15. Get the ultimate picture

Yes, it is okay to whip your phone out and capture the perfect moment once in awhile. Snap a pic with your group that puts your spring break adventure into one picture, so “Insta” worthy that a filter is not necessary.

16. Sip on a fruity drink and relax

Take a day or even just a few hours to head down the beach- opposite side of the party- and pop a squat on the sand with your girl friends and relax for a moment. Soak in the beauty that surrounds you with a fruity daiquiri in hand. This will be a moment you will never forget.

17. Souvenir binge

Even though you will never wear that Florida zip-up or booty shorts with the destination across the butt ever again, it is a just a memory every spring breaker deserves to own.

18. Watch the sunset

Don’t just glance out of your window as the sun sets. Take yourself back down to the beach before you head out for the evening, and watch the sun hit the water. We midwesterner’s hardly ever have the opportunity to see this naturally beautiful moment. Soak it up.

19. Try something new

This is very vague, but give your imagination a chance. You are in a place that you will most likely never return to, so do something that you have never done. This could be anything from trying a new drink, going dancing, or parasailing. Allow your courage and confidence to soar this week.

20. Skinny dip to say, “goodbye”

Like any vacation, spring break comes to an end. So, on the eve of your last day, grab your crew and run straight into the ocean, without a single item of clothing. This is the last moment to feel free, without a care in the world.

Spring break is a time to spend with your best friends, and to make memories to last a lifetime, however make sure to spend it the way you want to. Be sure to be smart, be safe, and have a wonderful time.

Natalie is a Senior at Central Michigan University. She is working toward a Bachelor of Science degree with an emphasis on Broadcast and Cinematic Arts. Natalie has been a CMich Contributor since October of 2013 and represents our chapter as our Social and Events Coordinator. Natalie has a deep passion for pop culture and entertainment and she is looking forward to a career in entertainment television or news as a Multimedia Journalist and/or Producer. Until then, she will continue to be a part of our chapter, to participate in News Central 34 and E Central, remain an active member of NBS, and continue to make strides towards making her dreams come true.