Should We Follow Advice from Tom Petty?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at C Mich chapter.

Just about every freshman hears this quote by Tom Petty their first year at college:

“I’ve learned one thing, and that’s to quit worrying about stupid things. You have four years to be irresponsible here, relax. Work is for people with jobs. You’ll never remember class time, but you’ll remember the time you wasted hanging out with your friends. So stay out late. Go out with your friends on a Tuesday when you have a paper due on Wednesday. Spend money you don’t have. Drink ’til sunrise. The work never ends, but college does…” 

While many people love taking advice from musicians, this one may be hard to follow. Yes, it is important to remember to relax and have fun, but after you’ve finished your paper… or at least started it.

Let’s look at the quote closer. Yes, you should quit worrying about stupid things! The time we spend at college is made for us to make mistakes and find out what we want to do with our lives. These will be some of the most carefree years of our lives. Take risks, try new things and live with no regrets.

You may not remember the time you spent in class, but let’s hope you remember the information you learned. Obviously what you learn in class will help you in your career. But don’t let schoolwork take over your life. Take breaks. Go outside for a quick game of volleyball, have a night with your roommates to do anything but homework and remember to take time for yourself.

This is where you need to not take the quote so seriously…. Yes it’s ok to have fun and go to parties, but remember that you are here for an education! Don’t get into the bad habits of drinking every night and ignoring the fact that you have an 8 AM the next day.

As for the money, spend what you don’t have on opportunities you may never get again. Study abroad, take a trip to network with professionals in your field, or buy tickets to the playoff football game. As hard as it, don’t spend it all on clothes (although, sometimes retail therapy is all you need after a tough week of classes).

Unfortunately, college doesn’t last forever. We will be put into the real world and have real jobs before we know it…. Scary thought! But if we live our college years correctly we will be more prepared than ever. We will have studied for something we are passionate about, have memories with friends that know every stupid thing you have done and are ready to go get your dream job. Whether you’re a senior getting ready to graduate in a few months or a freshman preparing for some of the toughest years of your life, just remember to not stress over the little things. Stay focused on school, but have fun with your friends. These memories will be some of most memorable.