Life > Experiences

A Short Note to My Friend in Heaven on Her Birthday

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at C Mich chapter.

Thank you for bringing me sunsets.  Sunrises too, but I tend to sleep in past those. They’ve always been my favorite, but the way you paint the sky has no comparison to any other artistic soul. Colors are so much more vibrant and vivid with you in mind.

Thank you for visiting me when I need you the most; I know you’re always here with me. You’re a gust of wind, a forceful shove in the right direction, a gut instinct so strong I can taste it, a cheerful bird singing away, a heads up penny in the cracks of an old sidewalk or a stranger’s smile. I’ve traveled to so many new places these past few years and I hope you’re enjoying the view too (and seeing me attempt to navigate unknown cities because we both know how horrible my sense of direction is).

Thank you for our conversations. Five years have gone by but I can still hear your laughter and sarcastic tone in my head when I see a blueberry lemonade Jones Soda or anything relating to Mac Miller.  Jammin’ out in the car to one of your songs will forever be one of my favorite things in life. I can only imagine how loud you’re singing up there.

Thank you for pushing me to be my best self. Your spirit will forever encourage me to get out of my comfort zone, to start a conversation with the stranger at the table next to me and to live life courageously, the way you did. Because of this, you’ve allowed me to find the best people, embark on great adventures and relish the opportunities you’d chase after.

Happy Birthday, Lauren. I hope you’re enjoying your sunny, beach-filled, endless oreo shake and mediocre cheese quesadilla paradise. You spent 15 years on earth, but you’ve touched lives for 21 and counting. Thank you for lighting up my life every morning and every night no matter where I am in this world.

Hi! My name is Erin. I'm a junior at Central Michigan University studying Information Systems. I am passionate about coffee, writing, traveling, old bookstores and great friendships. I love Her Campus and the C Mich team. Feel free to connect with me on social media!