This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at C Mich chapter.

November is Lung Cancer Awareness Month.  Because it follows all of the hype of Breast Cancer Awareness Month, it doesn’t get much attention.  It is important to realize that lung cancer is the second leading cancer among women.  In honor of this, 11 reasons to ditch the cigarettes and save your lungs!

1.       It’s not fashionable. Inhaling a pack of tar into your lungs isn’t cool, living without lung cancer is!

2.       You reek, even after you wasted your whole bottle of Marc Jacob’s Daisy trying to mask the smell.

3.       Imagine sticking your tongue in an ashtray.  Would you want to kiss yourself?

4.       You just paid money to damage your lungs.  According to wiki.answers.com, the average smoker will spend around $2,500 on cigarettes a year.  That’s like taking two vacations, and I don’t mean hopping in your car and driving to PCB. 

5.       The cigarette you just tossed out the window of your car isn’t biodegradable.  According to

No-smoke.org, “1.69 BILLION pounds of butts wind up as toxic trash each year.”

6.       Smoking has been banned on campus.  Quit now, before you’re forced to hot box your car before class.

7.       Winter.  It’s 10 degrees outside and you’re sitting on the porch smoking a cig.  Do you exert this much dedication to attending class?

8.       You eat organic, ride your bike, and recycle.  Oh, and you smoke cigarettes.  Congratulations, you’re a hipster, and a walking contradiction!

9.       You’re aware that cigarettes include chemicals like:

·         Acetone (nail polish remover)

·         Acetic Acid (hair dye)

·         Ammonia (common household cleaner)

·         Arsenic (rat poison)

·         Formaldehyde (embalming fluid)

·         Lead (used in batteries)

·         Tar (material for paving roads)

10.  You’ve seen the comparison of identical twins, one smoked their whole life, the other didn’t.  The smoker looks 10 years older and has lungs to match it.

11.   YOUR HEALTH!!!