wolfgang hasselmann TwLGzTFFFio unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
wolfgang hasselmann TwLGzTFFFio unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness > Sex + Relationships

Put the cell phone away; It’s date night

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at C Mich chapter.

If you and your significant other plan a date night, it should be time for you two to reconnect. Not to just stare at your phones for an hour while you eat.

When I was dating my ex-boyfriend, we would go out to Pizza Hut or Applebee’s at the end of our work weeks to actually have dinner together. I remember that I would always look forward to it, because I love going out to eat and second, it was a nice way to start the weekend. But, my ex always had to make me annoyed because he was always on his phone. It’s my pet peeve when someone you genuinely want to be around, doesn’t pay attention to you. I want to talk about my day or something funny that happened, but you won’t even put down your phone for a few minutes to talk to me.

I get it– I like social media as well. I like looking at stupid memes on Facebook. But you can do that at any time during the day. Don’t make your SO feel insignificant because you would rather pay attention to your phone, rather than talk to them. As for myself, I always feel like I’m being annoying when I try to talk about something, but the other person just keeps staring at their phone, rather than giving their full attention to what I am talking about.

It’s date night. Keep it that way. Keep your phones in your pocket and actually enjoy each others presence.

Sara is an Integrative Public Relations Major at Central Michigan University. She hopes to work in a PR agency one day, managing social media for clients. When she's not reading yet another book from one of her three bookshelves, she can be found cuddling her cats, Luna and Selene.