Puff it and Pass it, Marijuana for Recreational Purposes Approved in Washington and Colorado-and what that Means

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at C Mich chapter.

On November 6th, Colorado and Washington cast their respective votes in the presidential election, and both states went blue. Their ballots however, went green when both states approved the initiated amendments for the use of recreational marijuana.

However, as Colorado Gov. Hickenlooper put it in his written statement, “don’t break out the Cheetos or Goldfish too quickly,” for there are a couple of things to consider.

It’s going to take time for the laws and regulations to pass. In January, the amendments will be added to each state’s constitution. However, where marijuana is sold, and who gets to sell it, could take up to a year for the states to decide.

Additionally, under the Controlled Substances Act, marijuana is still considered a Schedule 1 drug. This means that on a national level, possession is still considered illegal, and intervention on a federal level could result in jail time. States who have legalized marijuana for medicinal purposes haven’t faced a lot of federal persecution, but Colorado and Washington are the first states to approve marijuana for nonmedical purposes.

The bottom line: these states will be testing grounds to how the federal government reacts. Meanwhile, pro-marijuana enthusiasts in other states will be waiting to see how successful Colorado and Washington are. Either way, these states will either set the tone for other states to follow suit, or be made an example to remind U.S. citizens of the power of federal law.

Kate Kelly is a senior at CMU studying Political Science, with minors in Spanish and Public Affairs.
Alex Puzzolo is a junior at Central Michigan University. She is majoring in Integrative Public Relations and minoring in Leadership. She is an active member in her sorority, Phi Sigma Sigma, by holding Executive Board positions. Alex is a Co-founder of the Central Michigan University chapter of Her Campus. She is from Mundelein, IL and loves to travel. She has been to multiple countries and just recently completed an internship in Ireland. An interesting fact about Alex is that she has worked in a jewelery store for the past two years and is certified member of the Gemology Institute of America.