Proud to be a First Generation College Student

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at C Mich chapter.

Taking on college can be an intimidating experience. Taking it on as a first generation college student can feel like you’re going on a long journey alone. Being a first gen college student myself, I have learned a whole new meaning of being on your own. However, even with all the obstacles that come with being the first, I am beyond proud to say that I am.

I can remember growing up watching my single mother work so hard to make sure my brother and I never felt like we went without. I remember thinking that all I want in life is to be able to provide for myself and my future family with ease. I set this goal for myself back in the 7th grade and college just seemed like the logical way to get there. Now, most of you are thinking “well duh you should go to college, that’s just common sense.” But for my family it wasn’t something that we had done before. Both of my parents went into trades and so did my parents’ parents. My older brother also followed in their footsteps. So for my family, I was the first and they were all so proud.

Fast forward to where I am now, a first gen college student with a full ride scholarship to an amazing school. I truly feel so blessed to be in the position that I am. Starting out, I was so excited, but I had no idea what to expect. I had no one who had gone through this before to help me. Luckily, I love a good challenge. As the months and now years have passed, things have become easier. I am here to tell all first gen college students, as hard as it is to do something on your own, you are not alone and it does in fact get easier.

Now, I’m not naive to the stigmas attached to being a first gen college student. We supposedly all come from disadvantaged families, our parents must have horrible low income jobs and we got here because we said we were a first generation student on our applications. But there is nothing wrong with any of these things and not all of them actually apply to every first gen student. None of these stereotypes, true or not, mean that we don’t deserve the same education as those who come from families with parents who have college educations.

I am beyond proud to be a first generation college student and to overcome the odds and statistics stacked against me. I am so grateful to have pushed myself and to have the opportunities that I do. Be proud to be a first generation college student. Not everyone can say they are and it is such an incredible feeling.

Hello! My name is Ashlee Croy and I am from Kalamazoo, Michigan, a cozy college town. I am a senior at Central Michigan University double majoring in Integrative Public Relations and Broadcasting and Cinematic Arts. I am involved in many different campus organizations including PR Central, PRSSA and Alpha Chi Omega Sorority. I am all about women empowerment and self love. I love spreading positivity, reading a good book and traveling. Fun fact about me is that I spent three weeks studying abroad in Italy during the summer of 2018.