This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at C Mich chapter.

I hate to admit it because my sister and I are far from compassionate towards one another, but she does hold a special place in my heart. It wasn’t until coming to college, where we had less opportunity to fight and bicker, that I realized I really can’t do life without her. Everyone expects the older sibling to be the role model and to be the one who watches over their younger sibling, but more often than not, she is the one who stood up for me or kept me on my toes.

I couldn’t tell you the last time we talked on the phone, yet she is still the first person I’d cry to, laugh with, or spill my drama to. The distance has been tough, but I think it has brought us closer than we have ever been before. Like I said, neither of us are particularly “soft” especially towards each other. So I figured it would just be easier to express my feelings here:

Dear Little Sister,

Even though you may not know it, you have made my life 20x better just by existing. I have always tried to be someone you could look up to and someone you would strive to be like, yet you are killing life all on your own.

I know I push your buttons more often than not and have made you cry more times than I would’ve liked, but I hope the times you remember are the ones where we have laughed until we cried and did the crazy shit that we swore we would never tell our parents. I know sometimes things can get hard living in the shadow of an older sibling. You are expected to be just like them; do the same things, win the same awards, join the same clubs. But to be honest, you are not really anything like me, and I couldn’t be more proud. You have found your own path, and that is okay.

Honestly, I didn’t really think we had much in common until I came to college and suddenly didn’t have as good of taste in music, never had the right shirt to match with my pants, and never had the right caption for my Instagram picture. I miss the small things like getting ready together every morning. I spent every morning jamming out to music, asking you if my outfit was okay, and then driving you to school that when I woke up on my first day of college classes and got ready all alone, I realized I had taken way too many moments with you for granted.  

Not many people can say with complete honesty that their sister is their best friend, I can. Once you got to high school we basically had the same friend group and I never got tired of hanging out with you every weekend. I come home from college and you are the one I want to hang out with. I love that my friends love you, and consider you one of their friends too. Most of my favorite memories include you. Look, let’s be honest. People suck. Friends suck. And unfortunately that doesn’t change in college. But know I will always ALWAYS have your back, and I know when it comes down to it, you will always have mine.

Gosh I hate to admit it, but watching you grow up is fricken emotional. I literally feel like mom when I start to tear up thinking about next year being the last time I get to watch you play volleyball, basketball, and softball. Thank god there was a nice little age gap between us because you probably would’ve taken my spot on all three of those teams. I can’t believe your graduation is right around the corner, SERIOUSLY, I still catch myself telling people you’re a freshman. I am so excited for you to experience senior homecoming, college tours, your last Christmas formal, senior ski trip, yout last BPA trip, your last prom, and finally, graduation. Soak up these moments as much as you can, you’ll be glad you didn’t wish this time away.

I know I hardly every say this, but that’s because when I say it I mean it – I love you. And I know you’re probably going to cringe when I say that, but it’s true. You make me laugh, cry, and make me more frustrated than I ever thought possible, yet I’d protect you with my entire life and soul. Yeah yeah, this letter has been pretty sappy and I feel like I’m making it sound like our bond has come to an end, but this is only the beginning. I am SO READY for you to be in college – sorry mom and dad. You have taught me to not be afraid of being myself, and have shown more courage in your 17 years than I probably will in my entire life. You are the one thing that has been consistent through all the ups and downs. You have changed my life for the better, and I am excited to live this life with you by my side.  

Annie McLean

C Mich '21

Hey! My name is Annie and I'm majoring in Integrative Public Relations and minoring in Multimedia Design at Central Michigan University. I love drawing and painting and I spend a lot of my time outdoors, more specifically on the water. I love to paddle board, boat, kayak, rollerblade, and bike. I LIVE for dogs and I would own 500 if I could. I have a black lab puppy named Luna and I miss her everyday I'm here at CMU. I love to listen to music, my taste is pretty diverse, but I am especially into 90s pop and alternative. My guilty pleasure is watching Keeping Up With The Kardashians, yes I know, but I am ADDICTED. My ultimate goal is to hopefully run social media platforms for a large company such as Victoria's Secret or Kylie Cosmetics.