This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at C Mich chapter.

This is an open letter to Grand Rapids, or to be more precise, the greater Grand Rapids area, which doesn’t sound as nice in a title.

Grand Rapids,

I just have to start off by saying I’ve always appreciated you, but I didn’t realize how much until I moved to Mount Pleasant for school. You have so much to offer, from endless restaurants to crazy events downtown. You are home, even if I technically live outside the city.

I have to thank you for the diversity you have within you. Growing up, I was fortunate to see all sides of life. Coming to a small town for college was weird for me, not only because there are only two main streets, but also because a lot of people here look like me. I am forever grateful that I had a jump start in social issues and lessons in knowing my privilege.

Thank you for giving Michigan the gift of Meijer. My love for Grand Rapids extends to endless loyalty to the best grocery store around. I honestly don’t think that I could live in a city without a Meijer.

Thank you for the heart of Grand Rapids– downtown. Everything about downtown is iconic, from the Blue Bridge, to the giant tire swing, to the Calder. It is a magical place during ArtPrize, or even just during a scavenger hunt. From prom pictures to senior portraits, downtown will always be my go-to spot.

I will always have fond memories of summer nights at Whitecaps games watching the fireworks over Fifth Third Ballpark. I still love the feeling I get when the Griffins score a goal and chaos erupts in the Van Andel Arena. The community of over 196,000 people will never cease to amaze me.

I’ve also learned how to be a better driver. There is no highway I can’t handle after taking the s-curve at 70 mph. Left turns and big, busy streets don’t scare me. And plus, if I can dodge all of the potholes, is there really anything I can’t handle?

But seriously, I feel endlessly lucky to be from one of the best cities in America. There is no other place I want to end up after college.

Thank you for the memories,

Julia

My name is Julia, and I am a junior from Kentwood, MI double majoring in Advertising and Psychology. My other involvements include Study Abroad Ambassadors, Campus Ambassadors, and the Honors Program. I'm excited to expand my skills while working with Her Campus, and I'm hopeful that this chapter will bring a lot of enjoyment to students at CMU. I am so excited to continue as the Advertising Chair for this chapter!