Wellness > Sex + Relationships

An Open Letter to the Boy Who’s Not Ready to Date

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at C Mich chapter.

I don’t normally wear my heart on my sleeve.  I don’t normally write about my love life. And I definitely don’t normally fall in love so easily.

But with you, it’s different.  I saw something special in you the moment I met you…. Two years ago.  You’ve become my best friend, the person I tell everything to. And I want the best for you, even if it isn’t me in the end.

So as I sit here writing this in the hoodie that still smells like you, I can’t stop myself from wondering if you’re thinking about me too.  Does every song you hear remind you of me, like it does for me? Do you smile when your phone lights up with my name on it? Are you afraid of losing me like I’m afraid to lose you?

It hurts me that you’re afraid to tell your friends about me when I would shout it from the rooftops.  My friends tell me it’s because you’re immature, or because you need to figure yourself out first. But I know the truth– I understand why it’s not the right time.  

You’ve had your heart broken, and you want to be the one who picks up the pieces.

You’re so stubborn, but that’s one of the reasons I’m crazy about you.  You’re independent and strong, and you’re afraid to rely on anyone to be the source of your own happiness. I admire you for that.

And I’ll wait for you. Regardless of how long it takes.  

Sometimes I feel like I am being left in the dark.  I’m afraid I’m holding on to nothing. But I see some kind of a future with you.  You bring out the best in me and make me want to be the person you deserve.

I don’t care about the label.  I really don’t. I think the reason I want it as much as I do is because sometimes it’s so hard to not say those three words when you’re holding me in your arms, or when you’re talking about your love for your family, or when we’re talking about life and what comes after.  And you always give me this look that makes me weak.

But I know at the end of the day, it will be worth the wait.  Even if it’s not me in the end, I’m thankful for the moments we’ve shared and the connection we had.  I hope you find the happiness and the love you deserve. Just remember you’ll always be my best friend.

But I hope it’s me because it will always be you.

Love,

Your biggest fan

Hi there! My name is Kara and I am originally from Freeland, Michigan, a tiny town in the Mid-Michigan area. I am a junior here at Central Michigan University and I am pursuing a degree in Advertising and Multi-Media Design. I have a passion for art, fashion, and music so I hope to one day work in one of these industries. My dream is to live in Chicago or New York! On campus, I am involved with the Honors Program, Advertising Student Development Forum (ASDF), the Beta Phi chapter of the Delta Phi Epsilon sorority, and am now serving as the co-correspondent and editor-in-chief of the C-Mich chapter of Her Campus. I am excited to take on this role and be working with our team throughout this journey! I absolutely love Her Campus and everything that it stands for. It is not only important to empower women, but important to empower people of all sexualities, genders, races, religious beliefs, etc. A fun fact about me is that I love to roller blade and I spent over a month in Thailand this past summer!