This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at C Mich chapter.

The time is here— the final season of New Girl has begun. The first episode of season seven, “About Three Years Later” aired last Tuesday, April 10. This marks the beginning of the end of the show’s seven-year run. Photo Credit: Giphy

The main cast of Zooey Deschanel, Jake Johnson, Max Greenfield, Hannah Simone, and Lamorne Morris all return as their well-loved characters. Nasim Pedrad, who is still credited as a guest star, also appears. As a new addition to the main cast, Danielle and Rhiannon Rockoff play the three-year-old daughter of Cece and Schmidt.

With only eight episodes in the season, it’s unclear what exactly is going to happen or how it’s going to be packed into a few weeks. Regardless, the final season has my attention and the show has my heart.

Episodes air on Tuesday nights at 9 on FOX, or can be seen the next day on platforms like Hulu or on the FOX website. The last episode is set to air on May 15, 2018, so mark your calendars.

Spoilers for the episode below-

“About Three Year Later” was just as comedic and heartwarming as past seasons, but it also shows growth. As the name of the episode suggests, the plot starts three years after the audience saw Nick and Jess reunite in the elevator.

Cece and Schmidt are hosting a birthday party for their daughter Ruth (who is named after Ruth Bader Ginsburg. Amazing). Although the plot didn’t get into too much detail about their life as a family, I can only hope that we get to see that dynamic explored in the next few episodes.

Winston and Aly have gotten married and it is a shame we didn’t get an episode on that surely chaotic wedding. They’re also expecting a baby and Winston as a dad is sure to be comedy gold. Ferguson the cat did not make an appearance, but hopefully, he’ll have a comeback before the finale.

Most importantly, Nick and Jess are still together and have just returned from a trip to Europe. Nick’s plan to propose is set off course when Jess claims they don’t need to change their relationship to show that they’re happy. After a push from Jess’s dad, the episode ends with Nick promising to propose to Jess within the month.

Dermot Mulroney, who plays Russell the Fancyman, also made a return in the first episode and appears to be returning for a few subsequent episodes.

Overall, the season had a strong start and created a few plots to go through before the series is wrapped up. I can only hope that New Girl gets the ending it deserves.

My name is Julia, and I am a junior from Kentwood, MI double majoring in Advertising and Psychology. My other involvements include Study Abroad Ambassadors, Campus Ambassadors, and the Honors Program. I'm excited to expand my skills while working with Her Campus, and I'm hopeful that this chapter will bring a lot of enjoyment to students at CMU. I am so excited to continue as the Advertising Chair for this chapter!