This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at C Mich chapter.

Picture yourself in your favorite clothing store. You’re browsing the sale racks and you come across a top that you might not normally pick out. It’s different and has a weird neckline, but you like it and want to give it a try. Then you start thinking, “How would I even accessorize this?” A necklace may be too much, only a bracelet would be too little, and you feel bare if you don’t wear any type of jewelry.

So, what do you do? You start second guessing yourself, and try to come up with reasons why you shouldn’t buy the top. The thing is, it’s an unbeatable price, so you buy it and tell yourself that you will figure out something when you’re at home.

The top goes into your closet and you forget about it. Then one night you’re getting ready to go out, and the feeling that you’ve worn everything in your wardrobe starts setting in. Thoughts like, “I have no clothes,” or “I’ve worn this 100 times,” start going through your head. Then you find that top in the back, with the tags still on. You’re running late as it is, so you put it on and start thinking, “Why did I buy this, I can’t wear anything with it, I have nothing to wear.” Here are some helpful tips for those cute necklines that seem impossible to accessorize!

• The Ballet (low swooping neckline): try a necklace, which length comes two fingers above the actual neckline, and follows the same shape as the neckline. It should have large features, such as dangling pieces or gaudy jewels.
  • The Crew Neck: Choose a collared style necklace to showcase the neckline and make your face stand out.
  • The Button Down: Wear a large, thick necklace that falls under the collar.
  • The Scoop Neck: As with the Ballet, you should wear a necklace that follows the same shape as the neckline, but not longer than the neckline.
  • The Strapless: With this top you have more freedom with the length of the necklace, but since strapless tops tend to be simple, spice up the jewelry! Try a layered necklace, or more than one!
  • The Boat Neck: Length is a must with this high and wide neckline. The longer the better, the eye travels with the jewelry, which will highlight the rest of your wardrobe.
  • The Cowl Neck, folded and low swooping: Wear a necklace with a short chain; the necklace should not overlap the neckline! Try a simple necklace with one piece, for a simple and elegant look.
  • The Turtle Neck: The necklace should not be too long or too short. Rule of thumb: no shorter than your hand, no longer than the top of your chest. The high neck moves the eye toward the face, but the necklace will accentuate the overall outfit, be creative!
  • The V-Neck: Once again, use a necklace with the same shape as the V. This neckline leaves a lot of bare skin that acts as a blank canvas! This is great for those necklaces that you think you can’t wear with anything, such as the “big bling,” “chunky chains,” or “vintage flowers.”
Annie is a junior at Central Michigan University from Plymouth, Mi.  She is majoring in Integrative Public Relations with a minor in Leadership.  Annie is an active member in her sorority Phi Sigma Sigma holding numerous positions within the chapter.  She has a love for travel, food and pets and looks forward to an internship abroad Summer 2013.  Annie loves writing for Her Campus and cannot wait to see this chapter grow to be such a great success! :)