This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at C Mich chapter.

Do you live in Mt. Pleasant year-round? Is this your first summer “stuck” in Mt. Pleasant? I feel you. I spent last summer stuck myself. I was on a budget—I didn’t have the money to travel anywhere like I would have liked to. That being said, the small town of Mt. Pleasant can be as enjoyable as you make it out to be. Here’s how to enjoy your summer in a small town.

Parks

Mt. Pleasant is home to many parks. Located in town, you have Island Park, Nelson Park, and Chipp-A-Waters. All located along the Chippewa River, the scenery is beautiful. Fancy a picnic? These places are perfect for picnics or grilling. There are also plenty of sidewalks that follow the river for a nice scenic view.

Deerfield Nature Park is a small drive away on Remus Road, heading west of town. I found this place last summer, and it’s honestly my favorite place in Isabella County when I want to be outdoors. Paths to walk, space to grill, and they also have a disc golfing range, if you’re into that.

I’m not much of an outdoors person myself, but Mt. Pleasant is a really beautiful town when you venture out of your comfort zone.

Downtown

Visit downtown Mt. Pleasant to see what local surprises are in store for you. Pure Vitality Juice Bar & Spa is an affordable way to spend your summer days. If you feel like doing something creative, or starting a new hobby, The Painted Turtle Pottery Studio is a great place to begin. Paint pottery, a canvas, or go with a group of friends to create your own masterpieces.

June 9th is the day of Mt. Pleasant’s Craft Beer Festival this summer. A popular event in Mt. Pleasant; you can try all sorts of brand new brews from around Michigan.

Casino & Resort

We all know Mt. Pleasant is home to the Soaring Eagle Casino & Resort. If you don’t feel like gambling, you can always check out their line-up of summer concerts. Lawn tickets run at about $25 a ticket, which isn’t bad at all. Last summer I saw bands like Weezer and Five Finger Death Punch, and it’s a great experience for someone who loves music as much as I do.

Summer can be a bit boring when you’re on your own and you’re finally an adult. Have fun with what you got. You can still have a great summer even if you’re “stuck” in a small town.

Sara is an Integrative Public Relations Major at Central Michigan University. She hopes to work in a PR agency one day, managing social media for clients. When she's not reading yet another book from one of her three bookshelves, she can be found cuddling her cats, Luna and Selene.