samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Mt. Pleasant Coffee Corners

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at C Mich chapter.

Tired of the super long line at Starbucks in the University Center? Did you forget about that history essay due tomorrow morning? Even though Mount Pleasant is known for being super small, it is abundant in small business coffee shops. Support a local business and help yourself get through the week with a cup of coffee or tea to motivate you in your studies. As an avid coffee shop-goer, I pride myself in testing out the different shops and spending my time there to hang out with friends, have meetings, or work on homework. Although there are many places to get coffee on and off campus, here are my most favorite places to go and support.

Kaya

Proximity: If you didn’t know, Kaya just moved to inside the Malt Shop which is across from Grawn Hall. Perfect for walking because it is right on across the street from campus.

Menu: Kaya’s menu is super extensive-but it pays off! They have many different types of coffee lattes (would totally recommend Love Potion #9), tea lattes, iced drinks, and an assortment of sandwiches.

Vibe: This vibe is super comfy and cozy featuring one of the most welcoming environments. It always smells homey and is a great place to get a drink, relax and work on homework.

Overall: 3.5/5 Stars for the yummy options in the menu and welcoming environment. 

Twelve17 Coffee Roasters

Proximity: This coffee shop is located right off of Mission St., so is a pretty quick drive or a reasonable walk. It is actually shared with Grace Church, a local student-friendly church near campus. 

Menu: Everything on the menu is really yummy, especially the iced coffee. They have many different things ranging from drinks to soups and everything is donation based.  

Vibe: This is actually one of the largest coffee shops there is near campus, so it is really easy to get a seat and also to spread out with all of your homework. It is also far enough where it has an “off campus” feel but at the same time very student friendly and welcoming.

Overall: 4/5 Stars because of the nice volunteer baristas and also welcoming space.

Pleasant City Coffee

Proximity: Pleasant City is located downtown in a very small hole in the wall building, but is a nice surprise for people that find it.

Menu: The seasonal, hot drinks are my favorite. They only offer sizes small or large, but their mugs hold a good amount of coffee. It can be a little pricey though, but you’re paying for quality.

Vibe: It has a super cute, hipster feel to it. Although very small, they use the space well. Cute little lights are strung up and make this tiny coffee shop bright and inviting for all.

Overall: 3/5 Stars due to the location and also the size of the shop itself- I wish it was so much bigger!

In my opinion, coffee shops are the perfect place to work on yourself, your homework, to have fun with others and even make new friends. So my fellow Chips, throw on your favorite sweater or cute shirt, grab your laptop and go find your new favorite corner in a small business of Mount Pleasant.

Hi! My name is Erin. I'm a junior at Central Michigan University studying Information Systems. I am passionate about coffee, writing, traveling, old bookstores and great friendships. I love Her Campus and the C Mich team. Feel free to connect with me on social media!