Morgan Velez Prepares for the Career Fair

Morgan Velez, a junior from Saginaw, MI, is double majoring in Purchasing and Supply Management and Logistics Management and is a member of the co-ed professional business fraternity Alpha Kappa Psi. Alpha Kappa Psi is known for their annual career fair put on for Central’s students in the fall. This year, the Career Fair will be held on Friday, October 12th in Finch Fieldhouse from 9 am to 1 pm.  

When and why did you get involved with AKPsi?

I pledged Alpha Kappa Psi as a second semester freshman in Spring ‘17.  My one regret in joining was that I didn’t do it sooner! I wanted two things out of joining:  1) to meet new people and make friends that were also studying business and 2) develop and grow professionally so that I have something beneficial to talk about in interviews and add to my resume.  I found both of those in my Alpha Kappa Psi family, network of alumni, and opportunities to take on leadership positions like Corporate Relations which is the committee that works to put on the career fair.  

What should students expect from the Career Fair?

Students should expect to talk to as many companies as possible and network!  Professional dress is required to get into the event, and students should bring their resumes, business cards, and an open mind!  Everyone can benefit from attending the career fair whether they’re a freshman just getting their name out there and learning how to approach a recruiter, or a senior actively searching for a job.  It can be nerve-wracking so practice your elevator pitch, research the companies you want to talk to and don’t hesitate to find an AKPsi member at the event to ask any questions you may have.

How many companies will be there?

There will be about 132 companies in attendance!

How long has it taken to organize the Career Fair?

This year Corporate Relations has three AKPsi members working with the Career Development Center.  We started mid-summer coming up with the theme “A World of Opportunity” and collaborating with our Public Relations Committee to design posters.  Since coming back to campus for the start of the school year, we have been promoting the event, coordinating our members to volunteer the day-of, creating into packets for employers and students, purchasing food for employers, and updating student and employer sign-in.  The day-of, we will help employers set up their displays and ensure that things run smoothly.

The Career Fair will be a great opportunity for some professional growth, so make sure to mark your calendars for October 12th and go support Morgan’s hard work!