This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at C Mich chapter.

If there is one person that everyone has seen or heard about lately, it is Miley Cryus. Miley shocked all of America when she chopped off her long brown hair and started sporting a short blonde ‘do’.

The release of the music video for her song “We Can’t Stop” this summer was the kick off to her new style and her skyrocketing fame in the world of pop culture. Her ‘twerking’, that she is now known for, has become a popular trend that has taken over on Vine and other forms of social media.

Her ‘Hannah Montana’ image was completely shattered with her surprising VMA performance with Robin Thicke. While some people are absolutely disgusted and disappointed with Miley’s behavior, some find it inspiring that she has her own voice and does not listen to anyone’s negative opinions or criticism.

She has taken on not only a whole new look, but also a completely new style of music. Miley’s new album titled Bangerz, shows her fans what kind of an artist Miley has now become.

Miley recently made an appearances on Saturday Night Live and several talk shows to confront the negative perception after her VMA performance. Everyone should be sure to check out SNL and Jimmy Fallon, as well as her documentary titled Miley: The Movement, which aired on MTV.

The shock value of her performance on the VMAs got everyone’s attention. Now, she is using that to build her career and speak up about who she is. I think America has realized that the innocent ‘Hannah Montana’ is long gone. The new Miley has arrived and we can’t wait to see what she does next.