This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at C Mich chapter.

It’s no secret, I’m a huge makeup junkie. I geek out every time Urban Decay releases a new palette, and I’m always waiting outside Ulta in the freezing cold on Black Friday wanting to snag as many beauty deals as possible. Makeup has become a huge part of my identity ever since I started experimenting with cosmetics during my sophomore year of high school. I’ve come a long way since those years filled with brown pencil eyeliner and clumpy mascara, but I’ll always remember my makeup roots. For those who are interested in makeup, it may feel a little overwhelming — I experienced those same feelings when I first started out. There are so many products and brands on the makeup market, so it may be a little hard to grasp it all. However, there are five simple pieces of advice beginners can take to heart as they start their makeup journey.

Practice makes perfect

It’s a redundant phrase you’ve probably heard hundreds times growing up, but it’s true: the more you practice, the better you get at whatever you’re trying to achieve. Mastering the art of winged eyeliner, creating a daring smokey eye, or figuring out which lipstick shades look best on you requires practice, patience and effort. Simply setting aside time each week to practice an eye makeup tutorial you’ve seen on Pinterest or YouTube will make the makeup application process easier and easier.

Take your time

No one likes feeling rushed, especially when you’re applying makeup. It’s so incredibly important to take your time. If you’re planning on creating an intricate eye look for an event or a night out with friends, be sure to set aside more time than you think you’ll need. Giving yourself enough time will make the makeup application process easier, and it’ll give you plenty to time to achieve whatever look you’re going for.

Start small and work your way up

High-end beauty brands like Urban Decay, Benefit and Too Faced are often thrown around in YouTube beauty tutorials and makeup reviews. However, these brands can be quite pricey. If you’re new to makeup, I suggest avoiding high-end makeup. Products sold at Ulta and Sephora have high price tags, so I suggest investing in quality drugstore makeup. Many do not realize drugstore makeup is often just as effective as high-end makeup products. Plus, drugstore makeup is super affordable, which is perfect for a college student on a budget.

Learn from your mistakes

Every new venture may lead to a few bumps in the road, and that’s totally okay! Those who are new to makeup need to experiment with their look until they get the hang of things, and this may lead to a few mistakes. Sometimes the wings of your eyeliner won’t be even, or maybe you accidentally get mascara all over your perfectly blended eyeshadow. These makeup mishaps happen to beginners and experts alike, so it’s important to accept that mistakes, big or small, may happen. Don’t let these little slips deter you; learn from your mistakes and move on.

Do what you want to do

If you love the way shimmery lavender eyeshadow looks on your eyelids, wear it! Love the confidence you get from wearing brick red lipstick? Rock that shade and don’t let anyone tell you different. Makeup is all about expressing yourself, so do what you’re most comfortable doing. The best part about any makeup journey is finding your confidence through a variety of makeup looks. So, make it a point to apply the makeup you love to wear and let your confidence do the rest of the talking.

Hello, lovely! My name is Kara, and I'm a junior majoring in integrative public relations and minoring in journalism. When I'm not attending class, you can usually catch me jamming out to classic rock, watching makeup tutorials on YouTube, waiting in line at Starbucks or writing for my very own beauty and lifestyle blog. My dream in life is to do PR for a beauty company someday, and I believe writing for Her Campus will help me gain experience so I can do just that.