Style

A Love Letter to Dr Martens

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at C Mich chapter.

Have you ever had a pair of shoes that are so perfect you have to pry them off your feet at the end of the day? 

I have three.

They go with every outfit, they don’t hurt my feet and I never get sick of them. They are Dr Martens; the heavy-duty, decade withstanding shoes of non-conformity.

Docs are a little like cats. When you first get them they’re stiff and a little painful, but once you break in that sweet, sweet vegan leather, baby they PURR.

I could hike a mountain in my cherry (children’s) 1460s.

I will stomp on the patriarchy with my chunky, badass Jadons.

I have explored countries in my beautiful Blaire sandals.

Docs are the early 20s investment piece that will never leave your closet. They’ll get you through walking to early morning lectures in the middle of winter, weekend-long music festivals in muddy fields, study abroad trips walking miles to explore the country.

Docs will walk you into your first apartment. They will survive wear and tear through all of your exploits and explorations.

You may not wear them as much as an adult. You’ll wonder if they will someday be stylish again. Then one day your teenage kid will rummage through your closet and find your, now “vintage”, docs and reign in a new generation of mountain hiking, patriarchy stomping explorers.

You’ll reminisce about your 20s and watch as a new generation has the same experiences you had in those shoes.

In conclusion, Dr Martens are timeless. NEVER get rid of them because they will always be back in style and ready to be worn again. 

Tess Ware

C Mich '21

Hi, my name is Tess and I’m a double major in Journalism and Women and Gender studies at Central Michigan University. Planning to become a media writer after I graduate. I want to empower people through my writing and hope to someday write a book on the intersection of Feminism and Paganism. I’m a huge crafter, I love knitting and altering clothes I find at thrift stores. I listen to a lot of audiobooks in my free time. I’m really excited to be co-campus correspondent and Editor-in-Chief for HerCampus-CMich and continue to develop my voice, writing and leadership skills.