Justin Toliver: One Impressive Chippewa

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at C Mich chapter.

Whether he’s singing down the hallways of Moore or helping to manage his university’s chapter of Pi Kappa Phi, this Central Michigan senior brings his radiant spirit wherever he goes.

Justin Toliver, 21, is currently studying journalism with a concentration in public relations and a minor in leadership. His journey at Central began the year of 2011, where he was reached soon after to assist fellow students in the reestablishment of a fraternity whose presence no longer existed on campus due to hazing. After almost three years of hard work and dedication, Toliver earned his title as one of the founding fathers of CMU’s current standing chapter of Pi Kappa Phi.

During the spring of 2013, Toliver learned that he was the perfect fit for the vocal group Fish N Chips here at CMU.

“I was living in the Towers when I saw them perform for the first time,” he said, “I had been a part of musical theatre in high school and knew that this group was an opportunity for me to pursue a passion of mine without majoring in it.”

Today, Toliver can be found in a variety of locations on and off of campus. It was during fall last year that he became affiliated with Central’s LGBTQ services, where he is now responsible for organizing faculty programs, working as a student assistant and speaking on campus about his personal journey coming out.

As if his educational endeavors and extra-curricular involvements on campus weren’t impressive enough, this Chippewa also finds time to work at least 20 hours a week. It is at Clare’s Cops & Donuts where he works behind the counter and sings for his customers.

In the years to come, Toliver hopes to work in a field allowing him to practice his passion of public relations and diversity.

“I could see myself doing something that involves higher education and student affairs,” he explained. “I don’t have anything specific in mind just yet.”

As the end of his college career draws nearer as an expected graduate of 2016, Toliver will continue to make the most of his time at Central Michigan University. This enthusiastic, dedicated young man has made his mark not only on his school, but the various programs he has helped to establish.

Junior at Central Michigan University studying public relations and advertising. Lover of writing. Fire up!