How to Take Care of Your Body During The Winter

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at C Mich chapter.

The holidays may make winter seem like it’s the most wonderful time of the year. That is until the festivities pass.

If you’re like me and waiting (and wishing) for this awful weather to be over, don’t worry we’ve still got a ton of weeks to go.

However just because the weather can put you in an upsetting mood doesn’t mean it has to do the same for your skin. Below are six tips on keeping your skin healthy and warm for the remainder of the season.

Keep your face moisturized

A cold winter breeze does more than just make your face feel numb, but make it dry and itchy as well. Avoid the facial troubles of the season by moisturizing your face daily.

Facial moisturizers are a must-have for the winter in order to keep your skin feeling smooth and healthy. Neutrogena has a well-known and reasonably priced line of facial moisturizers sold in stores such as Walmart and Target as well as drug stores. There are a variety of moisturizers depending on the type of skin (dry, oily, sensitive, etc.) you have.

Remember to wear sunscreen

Just because it’s not in the high 80s or 90s doesn’t mean the sun won’t come. Keep your skin protected from the sun’s ultraviolet rays by using sunscreen consistently throughout the winter. Some facial moisturizers contain SPF 15, which will be helpful when the sun is melting away the snow. 

Don’t let the winter dry your lips out

While lip-gloss and lipstick does make your lips look pretty in the winter, the products will not keep them from cracking. To avoid your lips from turning crusty look no further than the old-fashioned Chapstick. The lip balm comes in different flavors and treats your lips as a moisturizer or lip medication shielding your lips from the sun and the cold. Vaseline also makes a great substitute by rubbing a little of the petroleum jelly onto your lips.

Fight against the ash

Do you notice your knees or elbows becoming ashier this season? Instead of using up all of your lotion in a matter of weeks, try Palmer’s Cocoa Butter Formula or Shea Butter Formula. The body lotion is thicker and won’t absorb into your skin as fast. It is also good at softening rough or dry skin. You can find the products at a local Meijer or Target.

Wear a hat or use extra moisturizer for your hair

It shouldn’t be a surprise that the cold weather not only affects our skin, but our hair as well. The best solution to prevent your hair from becoming any drier because of the wind is to wear a hat. If you’re not a hat person, try using shampoo and conditioner with extra moisturizer for the season.

Soften up your feet

Your boots may be keeping your feet warm, but your toes can still fall victim to this dry weather. Fight back by soaking your feet the next time you shower or bathe. As soon as you’re finished, grease your feet up with cocoa butter or Vaseline and put on a pair of comfy socks. After a few hours or so, your feet should feel softer and less willing to turn ashy in the cold.

Charnae Sanders is a sophomore at Central Michigan University majoring in the field of journalism. The Detroit native was a 2012 Lem Tucker Journalism Scholarship winner and has interned with The Detroit Free Press and The Wall Street Journal: Classroom Online Edition. She is currently the Editor of the Food & Beverage section of Grand Central Magazine and a former reporter of CMU’s Central Michigan Life. Charnae hopes to write for a professional magazine after graduating from CMU. In addition, she would also like to write and publish her own novels and poetry. She calls writing her passion and is fascinated with the art of storytelling. When this Aquarius isn’t busy working on articles or studying for an exam, you can find her cheering on her favorite sports teams or singing along to Taylor Swift and Beyoncé.