How to Make the Most of Your Spring Break at Home

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at C Mich chapter.

As my friends fly away to places like the Bahamas, I’ll be at home chillin’. Don’t get me wrong, I love being at home and with my family. I get to be with my cats and sleep in my super comfy bed. But, that doesn’t take away the fact that it’s freezing outside and I have no plans. Well, I do have one plan: waste time on the couch binge-watching Netflix. Let’s be honest though, being cooped inside during spring break sucks. Even watching Netflix gets boring. So instead of starting that show that you don’t really want to watch, but you’re out of options so what the heck, you can do some of these things to keep from getting too bored.

Clean your room.

Your parents probably want you to do it anyway. And, if you’re anything like me, you probably have some clothes that you don’t need anymore. Maybe get rid of those. As Lara Jean Covey says in To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before, “my life was a mess, but I could clean my room”.

Treat yo’ self with treats.

I’m a big fan of trying out new snacks. Pull up Pinterest and finally make that dessert or meal that you said you were going to make years ago. You have the time, might as well. I think I’m going to try making some mint chocolate chip cookies

Actually do your homework before next weekend.

Why panic and do your homework Sunday night before class when you have all week to do it. I believe in you, get a head start on that paper.

Go to a movie by yourself.

You might be thinking “weird”, but if you go by yourself you don’t have to share the popcorn.

Pick up an old hobby.

You still have that old painting kit?  Or was something else your jam? Take a trip down memory lane and beat that level on the video game you never finished or flip through your notebook and write a new poem.

Spend some time out with old friends or your siblings.

Go to lunch with your friends that also didn’t get to go on cool vacations and catch up. Or, pick your siblings up and take them out for a treat– they’d probably like that! Maybe do both even.

My name is Julia, and I am a junior from Kentwood, MI double majoring in Advertising and Psychology. My other involvements include Study Abroad Ambassadors, Campus Ambassadors, and the Honors Program. I'm excited to expand my skills while working with Her Campus, and I'm hopeful that this chapter will bring a lot of enjoyment to students at CMU. I am so excited to continue as the Advertising Chair for this chapter!