How to keep the ‘school-ball’ rolling

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at C Mich chapter.

September is here and leaves are beginning to change color. Needless to say, autumn is the season of back-to-school. New friends, new classes and new school supplies make the beginning of the school year a fresh and exciting time. Along with the excitement comes stress, knowing how to balance the two will make the transition from summer-fun to school-time-grind much smoother. Not only is it hard to get back into the ‘school mode’, but it’s hard to stay there! Here are some tips to rock-out and knockout the next 16 weeks of your life.

HEAD IN THE GAME

Staying on top of your game from day one will set a standard for the rest of the semester. Establishing a routine will help you adapt to a new schedule change. Setting aside time each night (30 minutes per class) to re-read notes, or look over important dates will help you stay on track.

ZZZZ…

Sleep. Sleep. Sleep. Getting enough sleep is the NUMBER ONE way to reduce stress and keep your immune system healthy. Adequate sleep is measured by the number of REM (or deep sleep) cycles in a night. Doctors say the average hours of sleep per night is approximately 7.5 or 5-6 REM cycles. Dream on.

ORGANIZE

Investing in a planner or note-pad is wise. Professors bombard you with important dates, assignments and events at the beginning of the year. Having a place to write them all down will help you stay organized and prepared.

BEAT PROCRASTINATION

Be proactive against procrastination. Procrastination is the plague that only brings stress, anxiety and tears. Don’t let that voice inside your head start trying to distract you. Once that voice has the slightest attention, it’ll grow like wild fire. Grabbing a head start on projects never hurt anyone. You’ll feel relieved having a book report finished a week before it’s due.

SHOW UP

Go to every class, every day. Missing class results in missing vital information the professor shares only during class hours. In class discussions are a great way to help you learn the material, also being an active part in discussion will show the teacher you know what is going on. Brownie points.

SOCIAL TIME

Make friends! Having class friends to study with or bounce ideas off of will make your life much easier. Don’t be afraid to be friendly, you never know what kind of people and connections you can make. Class friends can keep you updated and focused with not only what is going on in class, what also what is happening in the University.

School doesn’t have to be for geeks, it’s about the achievers!  College is supposed to be the best years of your life, make it that way! Avoid the stress and stay focused. And remember, you don’t have to give up on fun; it’s all about priorities!

Annie is a junior at Central Michigan University from Plymouth, Mi.  She is majoring in Integrative Public Relations with a minor in Leadership.  Annie is an active member in her sorority Phi Sigma Sigma holding numerous positions within the chapter.  She has a love for travel, food and pets and looks forward to an internship abroad Summer 2013.  Annie loves writing for Her Campus and cannot wait to see this chapter grow to be such a great success! :)