Fall into your Closet: Cute go-to Items

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at C Mich chapter.

Little Black Dress. High Heels.  Pencil Skirt.  These are the classic go to items in every girl’s closet.  They are referenced in books, magazines, and movies.  We have all seen our female role models in them and have wanted to copy their styles.  With fall officially starting this past week, there are some go to items in your closet that you don’t even know about.

Fall weather is hard to dress for sometimes.  One day it is as cold as the artic and the next it’s sunny and 75o f.  With the constant back and forth, your outfits can sometimes look a little unusual.  So the question that comes to mind is style vs. function.  Sometimes the answer to this is to go shopping for something new.  Before you do this, look in your closet because you probably already have some cute fall staples in there.

1. Blazer:  Whether it is classic black, colored, or printed, blazers are a great fashion statement.  They have been seen more and more lately.  Sometimes resembling a suit jacket, blazers are a less professional look that can take you from day to night.  They are great for going on a first date, or a night out with your girls.  With a cute dress and some jewelry, you are ready to go.

2. Dark Jeans:  Wear them skinny, boot cut, or boyfriend.  Dark jeans are a fall must have this year.  Jeans come in a variety of colors and styles, but dark jeans have a certain appeal to them.  They are the perfect way to dress up an outfit and also have the added benefit of being slimming (most of the time).  Pair them with your favorite shoes and you are ready to hit the town!

3. Oversized Sweater:  On fall mornings when it is a little chillier out (8am classes), the only thing on your mind is being warm and cozy.  Oversized sweaters are the perfect balance between comfort and cuteness.  Not only do they look good on pretty much every body shape, they are also a quick fix if you are running late in the mornings.  You can wear them with jeans or leggings; just please keep in mind the rules for leggings!

4. Boots:  They say shoes are a girl’s best friend, and boots certainly fall into that category.  Everyone has their favorite style that is their go-to when they are getting ready.  It is getting colder out and people can be seen wearing boots everywhere.  Not only do they keep your feet warm, but they also look cute while doing it.  Add your boots to an outfit of jeans and a vest, and you will be ready for anything.

5. Cardigan:   Cardigans are perfect for fall, especially for those in between the weather days.  Some can be a little longer, while others are on the shorter side.  It just depends on the style you like.  They are great if you are running errands, or even walking to class.  They come in about any color imaginable and in most stores.  Throw on a scarf for added style pizazz.

Hi my name is Kristen Skiera. I am a junior at Central Michigan University. I am majoring in Public Relations and minoring in Fashion Merchandising.