Eco-Friendly Fashion Brands Taking Over

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at C Mich chapter.

For quite some time now, the whole idea of being more environmentally friendly has taken over. There are ways to be more conscious of the environment by recycling, turning off lights when you’re not in the room, unplugging unused appliances, and so on. There is also a way to “go green” by wearing clothes that are eco-friendly. These brands are going mainstream by taking over the fashion world. Being conscious of our environment has become something each of us should begin adhering to, if you haven’t already done so! Through fashion, it’s the easiest, and the most fun! Each of the mentioned brands has a unique quality to them while being environmentally conscious.

Loomstate

Since 2004, Loomstate has promoted the green movement by using organic cotton in their jeans and tees. Not only are their clothes eco-friendly, but the way they are producing their clothes is doing the same. They are reducing the amount of water consumption in order to reduce waste. Loomstate is one of the few mainstream, eco-friendly brands. Price range: $60 – $345.

100% NY

This New York-based fashion line is mainly for women. They ensure that there is 0% percent waste on the tagline. This brand works uses only recycled, organic materials produced in New York. Price range: $175 – $700.

Study NY

Coming at you is another New York brand. Study NY is a Brooklyn-based fashion brand that recycled materials and hand-died clothing made solely in New York. The creator of Study NY, Tara St. James, is also involved in many mentor programs for emerging designers who want to push the Green movement. Price range: $75 – $398

Feral Childe

East coast and West coast styles are coming together with this fashion brand. The East coast designer Moriah Carlson from Brooklyn and West coast designer Alice Wu from Oakland, California join forces as they create an environmentally-friendly fashion brand. While using sustainable materials, their clothes are produced in New York and dispose of the waste by donating what they don’t use to schools or they send them to a textile factory that recycles the material for them. Price range: $80-$400.

H&M

To a brand that may be the most familiar, H&M is making available a more eco-friendly line. Conscious Exclusive Collection is a line that uses organic cotton, Tencel, and recycled polyester. Similar to the 2011 Spring collection, it is encouraging a “greener” way to wear clothes. In the brand’s continued effort to be eco-friendly, they have made this collection runway chic. With typical prices from H&M, this collection is for both men and women. 

Gabi is a junior from Chicago, Illinois studying Advertising with minors in Journalism and Spanish. She is an active member of the Phi Sigma Sigma sorority. Gabi is a sports fanatic, as well as a fashion enthusiast. She hopes to work in the fashion industry while living in the Windy City.