DRESSING PROFESSIONALLY – Don’t sacrifice style

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at C Mich chapter.

Dressing for a networking event, internship, interview or professional job is always a nerve-racking experience. It’s hard to determine what’s appropriate and what’s not.

No need to cringe when thinking of what to wear to that professional interview. You don’t have to sacrifice for style. You can express your style while looking professional, put-together and poised. Here is what to do and what not to do:

Make sure the lint is off, the shirt is ironed and the clothes are neat and tidy. How you take care of yourself tells a lot of your work ethic and how you value your self-worth. Employers also look at shoes to see if they are polished. How you take care of your shoes shows how well you pay attention to details and the “small things” – which are great attributes employers search for. Along with wearing tidy clothes, make sure your hair and makeup are nice and clean.

Clean makeup doesn’t mean trying to go for the latest Nicki Minaj makeup trend. Stick with a light lipstick, foundation and mascara. Keep the makeup classy. And that poof the girls like to do, while it may be cute, a lot of employers just don’t understand Snooki-style.

Looking professional doesn’t have to be boring. If you have a classic paint suit, pair it with a colorful scarf or make a statement with a yellow blouse and matching belt. But don’t be too bold – flashy magenta heels are probably not a good idea. Keep the heels under four inches. If heels aren’t your thing, practice walking in them. Heels are a very important piece to your look during an interview or networking event because it exudes confidence.

This is the time to remember, if you got it, don’t flaunt it. Regardless of the gender of the interviewer, they probably aren’t hiring you for how big your assets are. Make sure your shirt isn’t too low cut and your skirt or pants aren’t too tight. If it fits too big it can look sloppy, so make sure your outfit is the perfect fit.

When it comes to accessories, a watch, earrings and a necklace are usually more than enough. Keep it simple and avoid nose rings or too many rings on fingers. Also avoid wearing big hoop earrings because it can look like you want to be going to the club instead of the office.

Don’t be afraid to wear the latest styles as long as they aren’t too much. Always gage the type of event, interview or job and do some research.

Dressing professionally doesn’t have to break the bank, either. Stores like Forever 21, Banana Republic and Express have professional attire at a relatively low price.

Laura Szatkowski is a senior at Central Michigan University graduating in December, 2012. She is majoring in Integrative Public Relations with a minor in English. Laura has had numerous internships in a wide variety of industries throughout college. Laura is passionate about all things PR and social media related and is looking forward to traveling and working outside of Michigan after graduation.