The Collegiate Guide to Becoming a Morning Person

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at C Mich chapter.

They say that the early bird gets the worm, but there are many times that sleeping in seems like a much better alternative. We all know those people that wake up at the crack of dawn, workout, and complete assignment after assignment all before everyone else even thinks about getting out of bed, but how is this possible? Mind you, becoming a morning person is an acquired trait and will not—I repeat—will not happen overnight. Here are some simple steps, however, to help you make this transition into becoming a morning person a little less painful.

Remind yourself why you want to wake up earlier

Coming up with the energy to wake up in those wee hours of the day is purely a game of willpower, so defining a clear motivation to do so is absolutely essential. I can’t count the number of times I’ve tried waking up in the morning only to fall back asleep wondering why I tried to wake up early in the first place. Maybe it’s because you’ve decided to start a new workout routine, you need to get a headstart on your classes, or simply to enjoy the prelude to the hustle and bustle of your day. Nonetheless, keeping in mind the reasons that motivate you to want to get up earlier will make the actual act of doing so that much easier.

Drink some coffee, but don’t overdo it

This step isn’t absolutely necessary, but knowing that I can start my day with a warm cup of joe is definitely a perk (cue coffee pun). Invest in a coffee maker/Keurig or hit up a local coffee shop for some handcrafted goodness that is sure to brighten your day. Remember, however, that certain specialty coffee drinks (I’m calling my caramel macchiato-obsessed self out here) aren’t the healthiest, both in caffeine content and calories. Try rotating between smoothies, tea, and water to make sure that your body is getting the hydration that it needs, especially in those early morning hours when you have the entire day ahead of you.

Prepare the night before

I cannot stress the power of preparation when it comes to becoming an early riser! For me, preparation can make or break my morning and sets the mood for the remainder of the day. Even doing the littlest of things ahead of time can make a huge difference, such as planning your outfit, packing your backpack, doing meal prep, and making sure that your planner is up to date with all of the next day’s events. Because of this, waking up early will feel like much less of a chore and will set you up for success for the day to come.

Establish a nighttime routine

By establishing a nighttime routine, your body will naturally begin to learn to wind down and prepare for a night of good sleep. With this, consistency is key! We’re all guilty of staying up until 3am to finish those last-minute assignments, sleeping until noon, and then feeling off for the remainder of the day as a result. Set an early(ish) bedtime and try to stick to it, taking the last half hour to relax, get ready for bed, and prepare for the next day. Try to stay away from electronics during this time to give your brain a break. Instead, focus on things to improve your self-care habits, such as picking up a new book, journaling, or yoga and meditation.

Outsmart your alarm clock

Alarm clocks are an early riser’s best friend and biggest nightmare. While we all argue with ourselves that those extra 5 minutes of sleep actually do make a difference, getting up the first time your alarm goes off is most likely your best bet. Thanks to new technology, there are alarm clock apps available (most are free!) that aim to wake you up in your lightest sleep stage, allowing for a much more peaceful transition. If this isn’t enough for you to fight the urge to hit snooze, I encourage you to place your alarm clock on the opposite side of your room before falling asleep. This will force you to actually get up in order to turn it off and as a result you’ve accomplished your first goal of the day: getting out of bed.

Becoming a morning person, especially in college, is no easy chore. Little by little, however, it is possible to make those changes you need in your life to make way towards the more productive and energetic college student you aspire to be.

Hello! My name is Kelsi and I am from Boyne City, Michigan, a small town in the northern LP. I am a sophomore majoring in Communication Sciences and Disorders (Speech Pathology) with minors in Child Development and Spanish. Currently, I am a member of CMU's Honors Program, the Alpha Phi chapter of Sigma Sigma Sigma, and CMU's Volunteer Center. I love going to coffee shops, spending time with my friends and family, binge-watching Netflix, and Taco Bell. A fun fact is that I was a Girl Scout for over 10 years (!!) and know how much of an impact women can have when they set goals and fuel the fire inside themselves to fulfill their passions.