A College Sophomore’s Survival Guide

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at C Mich chapter.

College is a great time in a young person’s life. During these years, we get a taste of independence without the full responsibilities that come with being an adult. However, the college years are not without stress. Students often worry about money, being too busy, not being busy enough, etc. I am now a Sophomore and although I still have a lot to learn about collegiate life, I have complied a list of tips that help me get through the daily stresses of college life. 

You’re a College Student Not a Top Chef- Do not put pressure on yourself to make elaborate meals every night. After being in class all day, cooking does not always sound like the most appealing activity. Not being in the mood to cook does not mean you are lazy! Embrace simple meals that are not time consuming. Another word of advice: embrace the frozen food section of the grocery store. Lean Cuisines were made to make life easier! Ladies, take advantage of meals that require no effort on your part. However, try to become more kitchen savvy throughout your college career because going out to eat everyday does not fit into the typical college budget. Yes, Panera is fantastic but so is being able to buy textbooks!

Don’t Be Afraid to Dress for Comfort- It’s not always easy to get ready for class everyday. There are days when I find it hard to straighten my hair let alone put on a pair of jeans. Sometimes, the best thing you can do for yourself is hit your snooze button and allow yourself extra sleep as opposed to waking up early in order to get dolled up. Girls feel pressure to get ready everyday and it does not help matters that every female character on television is depicted as looking perfect for school or work. Do not get down on yourself because the surgeons on Grey’s Anatomy look flawless after a “48-hour shift”. Remind yourself that these women have a full hair and makeup team…and oh yeah, they are not really surgeons! We have our whole lives to dress to the nines, ditch the straightener and makeup for a day and embrace your comfy sweats!

Stay Busy but Know Your Limits The beauty of college is that you determine your own schedule. Students can pick and choose the days and times of their classes, which is a huge benefit of collegiate life. However, some people find that, despite their course load, they are not busy enough. My advice to these people is, join a club! There are plenty of clubs on campus, so students should have an easy time finding clubs that relate to their major or just consist of an activity they enjoy. However, know your limits. Clubs are meant to be an asset for you and are not meant to take away from your academics.

The Party Can Stop Many college students suffer from FOMOS, (aka the Fear of Missing Out Syndrome). People feel like they must attend every event or party on campus in order to stay in the loop. Take a breather, people! Enjoy chill, relaxing nights with your friends that consist of movie marathons and good food! The greatest memories can come from nights in which you opted to stay in with your girlfriends.  If you find yourself unsure of whether to go out or not, remember how many weekends are in a school year and that may put things into perspective. Trust me, your liver and wallet will thank you later.

Alex Puzzolo is a junior at Central Michigan University. She is majoring in Integrative Public Relations and minoring in Leadership. She is an active member in her sorority, Phi Sigma Sigma, by holding Executive Board positions. Alex is a Co-founder of the Central Michigan University chapter of Her Campus. She is from Mundelein, IL and loves to travel. She has been to multiple countries and just recently completed an internship in Ireland. An interesting fact about Alex is that she has worked in a jewelery store for the past two years and is certified member of the Gemology Institute of America.