Campus Celebrity: Anthony Rizzo

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at C Mich chapter.

Not every student on campus can say they have been featured on the radio, let alone have their own radio show. Central Michigan University Junior, Anthony Rizzo, is not only featured on 91.5 Moore Rock, but you also hear him on WCMU Radio.

For the past year, Rizzo has worked at WCMU as a radio news producer. Rizzo works with the community by interviewing public officials and state workers across central and northern Michigan. From collecting stories, producing news wraps, and broadcasting stories on air, Rizzo has experienced what it’s like to work in the Journalism and Communications industry. Rizzo says one of his favorite parts about working for WCMU is collecting interviews. “I love talking to people, having good conversation, and learning about their work and life,” Rizzo says. “It teaches me a lot and has opened my eyes to a lot of stuff.” Over the course of Rizzo’s time at WCMU, he has done a lot of work with the government, environment officials, and natural resources with the state. Rizzo says these experiences have taught him a lot about the state of Michigan and what’s going on. You can hear Anthony’s news packages on WCMU at 8:25am during Morning Edition and at 5:25pm during All Things Considered.

In addition to his work with WCMU, Rizzo is featured on Moore Rock 91.5 on CMU’s campus. Rizzo co-hosts The Beta Sequence with good friend and fraternity brother, Sam Nuerminger, where the two bring in special guests, talk about sports, hot topics, and pull in fun facts and information that you wouldn’t hear in your average radio show. So far, the two have hosted special guests like the band Splice and Tom Olver, the CEO of United Way of Isabella County. “We bring in guests who do interesting things around CMU and Mount Pleasant. We talk to them about what they do, why they do it, and what they enjoy about it.” You can check out wmhw.org or @BetaSequence on Twitter for show times and interactions with the listeners.

Anthony is also the VP of Communication for the Beta Theta Pi fraternity at CMU, and through this position, he is able to get out the word to the community about what Beta is doing and what they’re about. He manages the Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram accounts for the fraternity. He says this position has given him a lot of experience with social media and communications, and has reassured him he is doing what he loves. 

Tune in to WCMU or Moore Rock 91.5 to hear Anthony showcase his on-air talents!