Bodycon Out, Skater In

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at C Mich chapter.

Bodycon is out, skater is in.

Words cannot express how happy I am that the bodycon skirt trend is on the back burner and the skater skirt trend is in full force.  The skater skirt is not only flattering on everyone, but it is so versatile. Remember the days of pairing a tight black top with a bodycon skirt?  The nights out were a constant struggle of sucking it in, and asking your friends if you butt looked good, since these skirts accentuated every curve.  The fear of pulling a Lindsey Lohan was also frequent, with every seat you took or every dance move you busted out. The skater skirt is worn above the belly button, hiding the gut.  Pair the skirt with some heels or booties and your legs will go on for days.  Thank goodness this trend can be worn throughout every season.

Here are a few of the hottest skater skirt trends for the winter season.

Night on the Town

Pair a faux leather skater skirt with a cute crop top, tights, and booties/heels, and you’re set.  Showing a little skin above the mid drift is sexy, but still classy.  You’ll be sure to turn heads with this look.

Valentines Day Date

My roommate came out in the most adorable outfit the other night, and I instantly thought, “Valentine’s Day.”  She wore a fit and flare floral dress with tights, booties and a big infinity scarf.  The dress resembled the skater skirt trend.  If you do not have a skater skirt styled dress, the skater skirt has the same appeal.  The floral print is very cutsey and Valentine’s Day-esque.  Mix and match a floral skater skirt and a plain top, or a floral top and a plain skater skirt. 

Presentation/Meeting

Finding an outfit for a presentation can be stressful.  Many stick to the standard dress pants and blouse look.  However, the skater skirt trend can look very professional.  Pair a black cotton skater skirt with a blouse, tights and appropriate heels.  Add a blazer for an even more sophisticated look.  If you want to wear this look for an interview, be careful with the skirt’s length.  Skirts should be no higher than 3 inches above the knee.

Ladies Who Lunch

Although the skater skirt can be super dressy, it can be worn casual as well.  For a lunch out with the girls, pair a skater skirt with tights, boots, a cardigan and scarf.  It is a very comfortable, warm and fun winter look.   

The skater skirt trend is very affordable.  All the skater trends I have worn I have purchased from Charlotte Russe, Forever 21, Windsor and H&M.  Many range from $16 to $24 at these stores. The options are endless with skater skirts.  Whether it’s a dressy night out, a casual lunch/dinner out or a date, this is a trend that you can have fun with.  Pair a cute scarf, some sassy heels, a blazer or cardigan with the skirt, and you will look fabulous. 

Senior at CMU. Majoring in Integrative Public Relations and minoring in Event Management. Member of Sigma Kappa Sorority.