etienne girardet Xh6BpT 1tXo unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
etienne girardet Xh6BpT 1tXo unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Best (Affordable) Spring Break Getaways

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at C Mich chapter.

Let’s be honest, a majority of us college students are on a serious budget for this year’s spring break. After months of saving your pennies and getting in shape, you and your friends deserve to vacation somewhere worthwhile this March-without going completely broke! Here are some of the best (and most affordable) places college students can escape to for SB 2013.

Panama, Miami, Daytona, Oh my!

Who said spring break is all about leaving the country? Florida offers more than enough places for vacationers to get some sun and entertainment at a great price. From its beachside Cobra Amusement Park to its Spinnaker beach club, Panama travelers are never short of things to do in both the day and night. Better yet, the shores of Panama are lined with inexpensive condos that can be rented for the week. Vacationers are also given the chance to enjoy the sun with some diving, snorkeling, surfing or parasailing. Don’t miss out on the adventures Panama has to offer!

The first thing that comes to mind when you hear the word Daytona is usually something along the lines of NASCAR, right?  Truth is there’s a lot more to see than an international speedway at this fun, low-cost vacation spot. With its high temperatures, this Florida hot spot has beachfront that stretches over 20 miles. The local water park, Daytona Lagoon, opens in March and has a daily admission of only $30 per person, not bad for a day of water slides and an assortment of dry attractions! If you and your friends are feeling adventurous, hop in the car and make the hour drive to Orlando so you can spend a day at any park (Universal Studios, SeaWorld, Epcot, etc.).

There is no denying that Miami is one of the most popular spring break getaways for college students. Although it’s known mostly for South Beach, the rest of Miami’s scene is far from boring. Spring breakers are able to experience a variety of bars, lounges, nightclubs and concerts over the course of a week. What’s more exciting, Miami is one of the top places to have a celebrity sighting! Check out the shopping and there’s a pretty good chance you’ll see some red-carpet material hitting the town too. For an opportunity to try something different, not too far are the Miami Everglades. With a beautiful view of what nature has to offer, Everglade airboat tours are available for any vacationers who are interested in getting up-close to some live alligators and wildlife. Tickets for these tours come as cheap as $20, so it’s definitely worth checking out!

Take a trip to Ocean City, Maryland

It may not be as well-known as Florida, but Maryland’s Ocean City proves to be quite the spring break get away for a reasonable cost. With its famous boardwalk beach resort and four-star shopping, there’s no doubt college students will have a good time. The Jolly Roger Amusement Park located in Ocean City has been rated four and half stars out of five, and gives guests free parking as well as group fees (as opposed to charging each individual a high price). Take a break from tanning to check out Ocean City’s Ripley’s Believe It or Not Museum for a day of wonder and disbelief, or the Island National Park, which displays just a small portion of the beauty Maryland has to offer!

Myrtle Beach, South Carolina

Fan of water sports? Myrtle Beach is the place to be. Parasailing, scuba diving, banana boat rides, and jet-ski adventures are just some of the activities available, along with fishing at the variety of local ocean piers. When the sun goes does down and it’s time to get away from the Atlantic for a while, there are numerous places of entertainment throughout this part of South Carolina. Strange but amusing, Medieval Times is one of them. It’s a different kind of occasion that involves watching actors perform an 11th century jousting tournament while eating dinner without utensils. If that doesn’t sound like something you’d enjoy, Myrtle Beach offers an exciting nightlife, with live music at The House of Blues along with Jimmy Buffet’s Margaritaville. If you find yourself bored even with those options, an alternative might be hitting up the nearby Family Kingdom Amusement Park or one of the 50 mini-golf courses!

Junior at Central Michigan University studying public relations and advertising. Lover of writing. Fire up!
Annie is a junior at Central Michigan University from Plymouth, Mi.  She is majoring in Integrative Public Relations with a minor in Leadership.  Annie is an active member in her sorority Phi Sigma Sigma holding numerous positions within the chapter.  She has a love for travel, food and pets and looks forward to an internship abroad Summer 2013.  Annie loves writing for Her Campus and cannot wait to see this chapter grow to be such a great success! :)