sagar patil 8UcNYpynFLU unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
sagar patil 8UcNYpynFLU unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Adopt your pets; don’t shop for them

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at C Mich chapter.

Approximately 7.6 million pets enter shelters nationwide, every year. Of that number, 3.9 million are dogs, and 3.4 million are cats. 2.7 million of those animals are euthanized. These numbers need to change.

We need to adopt animals, not shop for them. I know sometimes we want a certain breed of dog or cat, so we are willing to pay top dollar for that cute Pug or German Shepherd. But what about the dog that has been sitting in the shelter for months? Or the cute kittens who have been dropped off at the shelter? They can make just as good pets as any other.

I know people feel differently about these situations, but in my opinion, shelter pets are just as good as purebred pets, or pets you buy from a breeder.

I have two cats that I adopted from shelters, and they’re the best pets in the world. They’re loving, cuddly, and playful; I couldn’t ask for better.

Adopted pets are cheaper too. I adopted both of my cats for $30 and they were both already fixed and had their shots. You’re saving a lot more money when adopting a pet instead of ‘buying’.

These loving animals need homes. They want to be loved and cherished just as anyone else would. If you’re looking for a pet, I beg you to look at your local shelter first. Save an animal’s life.

Sara is an Integrative Public Relations Major at Central Michigan University. She hopes to work in a PR agency one day, managing social media for clients. When she's not reading yet another book from one of her three bookshelves, she can be found cuddling her cats, Luna and Selene.