Is Adderall Taking Over College Campuses?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at C Mich chapter.

Have you ever felt too tired to focus on homework, or to go out with your friends? As many of you know, Adderall is a popular drug found on college campuses around the world. Adderall’s main function is to treat Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD), but students are taking it to the next level. People are illegally consuming this medication to enhance their ability to study for excessive amounts of time and to party harder than they could before.

Adderall, also known as amphetamine and dextroamphetamine, is a central nervous system stimulant that helps control hyperactivity and certain impulses. It helps individuals stay focused and pay attention. This medication can be very addictive, and withdrawal symptoms can occur when trying to stop taking it. Many students are not aware that the abuse of amphetamine can result in dangerous and sometimes fatal conditions.

Waiting until the last night to study for a huge final is something that most of us are guilty of. The intensity of college courses can cause students to feel tired and beaten down. Students then turn to Red Bull and coffee to help them stay awake and focus.  When that isn’t enough, students will seek stimulants such as Adderall to give them the extra boost. This drug plays a major part in all-night study parties in hopes to save their GPA.

Taking Adderall for recreational purposes is also becoming more popular on college campuses. Students find this drug useful while drinking because they can consume more alcohol without passing out early.  This creates a high that makes users feel in control and more engaged in the party atmosphere. Dr. Tom Burnakis, head of Baptist Hospital’s pharmacy in Florida, explains that it is similar to using meth and cocaine because it affects the body in a similar way.

In conclusion, the use of this drug is more alarming than many universities may realize. Taking Adderall without a prescription is illegal and dangerous. Next time, think twice before taking this addictive stimulant.

Alex Puzzolo is a junior at Central Michigan University. She is majoring in Integrative Public Relations and minoring in Leadership. She is an active member in her sorority, Phi Sigma Sigma, by holding Executive Board positions. Alex is a Co-founder of the Central Michigan University chapter of Her Campus. She is from Mundelein, IL and loves to travel. She has been to multiple countries and just recently completed an internship in Ireland. An interesting fact about Alex is that she has worked in a jewelery store for the past two years and is certified member of the Gemology Institute of America.