This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at C Mich chapter.

8 Summer Must Have Trends

By: Beth Belecki

With stores starting to show all of their new Spring and Summer clothes, shopping for summer clothes can get a bit overwhelming. I’ve come up with 8 must have summer trends that allow you to mix and match outfits and that can be worn from day to night.

1. Maxi Skirt – This trend is huge this spring and summer as it was last year as well. You can’t go anywhere without seeing Maxi’s. They are perfect for wearing during the day and night and can give you a laidback or dressy look depending on what you wear with them.

1. Chunky Statement Necklace  – This is the perfect accessory to any outfit that needs a pop of color or needs to be dressed up a bit. There are a lot of colored jewel statement pieces being seen right now along with the staple gold and silver. These can be worn over a light sweater when it’s chilly or with a tank top.

1. Racer-front Dress or Shirt –  I’ve been seeing this style a lot lately on style blogs and shopping sites and I’m obsessed. High neck feminine shirts and tops are very popular right now and if feminine girly chic isn’t your thing, this kind of top still has a modest appeal but an overall edgy look.

1. Bold Cuff – Just like the statement necklace, a large gold/silver/rose gold cuff is the perfect accessory to add some color and shine to an outfit that needs more “ooomf”.

1. High Neck Sporty Dress – As you can see, high neck dresses are very popular this season! The high neck and fitted top of these dresses gives the wearer a very feminine classic look. Dresses like this are perfect for any grad parties, family outings, or other summer events you plan to attend in style.

1. Light Knit Sweater – The best part about these is that you can wear them in all different seasons depending on what you pair them with. In the summer paired with high waisted shorts is a look a lot of style websites are showing.

1. High Waisted Shorts – This trend is looking like it’s here to stay. In my opinion, high waisted shorts are flattering on more body types than hip hugging shorts. They also are perfect to wear with crop tops and can make a causal outfit look a little more chic.

1. Printed Trousers – Printed skinny jeans have been in style for a while, but what has been showing up a lot more is business chic printed trousers. These are perfect for wearing to a summer internship as opposed to the alternative plain black slacks. When you’re going somewhere you have to wear business clothes, why not add some flare?
Beth is a Senior at Central Michigan University. She is majoring in Apparel Merchandising and Design with a minor in Advertising. Beth is an active member of the sorority Phi Sigma Sigma. Her hopes are to be Chicago/LA/NYC bound in the next 2 years, working in the styling or product development area of the fashion industry. An interesting fact about Beth is that she is extremely obsessed with Beyoncé.