The 7 Things You Will See on Social Media for Valentine’s Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at C Mich chapter.

It’s that time of year again, February 14th. A day when social media is flooded with the completely overused term “Singles Awareness Day” (seriously didn’t we put that in our AIM away messages in ’05?), or photos of an assortment of heart shaped gifts that are apparently the BEST GIFTS EVER. I’ve compiled a list of what I find to be the most cliché V-Day posts seen every single year.

1)   The classic Instagram or mupload of flowers

2)   People who are #foreveralone

3)   The conspiracy theorist that Valentines day was created by the government or the greeting card companies

4)   Single girls telling everyone how “ready to drink” they are

5)   Girls who’s boyfriend is “better than yours” or are “THE luckiest girl in the world!!”

6)   Instagrams or muploads of drug store chocolate and heart shaped necklaces (most likely with the caption “blessed” or “How did I get so lucky?”)

7)   Instagrams of girlfriend/boyfriend picture collages that have so many photos in them you cant even tell what the pictures are of

A little shout out to single girls: Cheer up. This is your chance to request the song “Single Ladies” as many times as you want and no one can tell you to stop. Also, What are you going to do with a weird stuffed bear and wilted flowers in 3 days anyway? 

Beth is a Senior at Central Michigan University. She is majoring in Apparel Merchandising and Design with a minor in Advertising. Beth is an active member of the sorority Phi Sigma Sigma. Her hopes are to be Chicago/LA/NYC bound in the next 2 years, working in the styling or product development area of the fashion industry. An interesting fact about Beth is that she is extremely obsessed with Beyoncé.