6 Ways to Shake the Winter Blues

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at C Mich chapter.

Winter got you down? It is easy to get down and lose sight of hope in this long and unpredictable season. Here are a few quick and easy ways to bring you out of the winter blues.

1. Get a Healthy Glow

Although I do not recommend hitting the tanning salon, nothing brings you out of the winter blues quite like a fresh tan. You could also try a spray tan, some self-tanner, or even a new bronzer. Look good. Feel good.

Check Out L’Oreal Sublime Glow Daily Moisturizer for around $10 from your local drug store.

2. Take a Trip

I know we can’t all pack up and spontaneously take a trip, but even something as small as driving to a nearby town for a meal can change your mood. So take a day trip for lunch, shopping, or even to catch up with an old friend! A great way to turn around a bad winter day is a road trip with your best friends. Blast the heat, crank the jams, and enjoy your day!

3. Change Up Your Wardrobe

Two words: Retail Therapy. Who doesn’t feel better after shopping?! Now is the time to buy some fun new winter accessories to spice up your wardrobe and your mood. During winter we tend to stick to darker color schemes, so try brightening your day with some HOT colors. Try adding one bright piece to your everyday winter outfit and it’s amazing how good you will feel.

4. Get a Plant

Get a small indoor plant for your bedroom or dorm room. A small plant may just give you the hope you need that there will indeed be life after this long, cold, and dreadful winter. There are many small indoor plants that are easy to get and even easier to take care of.

Try a cactus, bamboo plant, or an aloe plant.

5. Hit the Gym

It has been said time and time again, working out simply makes you feel good. Some of us have actually stuck with our new year’s resolutions and have been frequenting the gym, but others gave up on those goals weeks ago (me). Either way, there is no better time than now to hit the gym. It may seem far away, but spring break and bikini season will be here before we know it.

6. Embrace winter

Let’s face it; winter isn’t going anywhere, so why not enjoy it while it’s here? Keep a positive attitude about this long and unpredictable season or you will never make it out alive. All you need to enjoy winter is a little something to look forward to. Try a winter sport! A few of my favorites are skiing, sledding, and ice-skating.

If sports aren’t your thing, there are many other indoor activities you can fill your time with. Why not catch up on sleep? This is the perfect weather to curl up with a cup of tea and a movie, so embrace it. Good news, winter is halfway over, so why not enjoy what’s left of the season?

Photos:

www.lorealparisusa.com

http://pinterest.com/pin/16466354857499093/

Kendal Fifield is a junior at Central Michigan University. She is majoring in Commercial Recreation and minoring in Hospitality. She is an active member of her sorority, Phi Sigma Sigma, and is holding an Executive Board position next semester. She is from the small town of Richmond, MI. A fun fact about Kendal, she loves outdoor activities such as running, biking, hiking, and skiing and has recently become a vegetarian.
Alex Puzzolo is a junior at Central Michigan University. She is majoring in Integrative Public Relations and minoring in Leadership. She is an active member in her sorority, Phi Sigma Sigma, by holding Executive Board positions. Alex is a Co-founder of the Central Michigan University chapter of Her Campus. She is from Mundelein, IL and loves to travel. She has been to multiple countries and just recently completed an internship in Ireland. An interesting fact about Alex is that she has worked in a jewelery store for the past two years and is certified member of the Gemology Institute of America.