The 5 Unfiltered Struggles of Walking to Class as Told by the Office

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at C Mich chapter.

You would think that walking to class would be a simple task–NOPE. 20,000 college students walking around the same campus to get to their destinations in a 15-minute period causes absolute chaos. There are unwritten but clearly established guidelines to walking to class that are KEY to not disrupting the flow of campus. Some make a conscious effort to follow them while others roam around freely and at their leisure.

1. Slow Walkers

Just one question–why? You should treat hallways and sidewalks like roads and walk at the same pace as everyone else. I’m glad that you have time to take the scenic route but I’m not about to disrupt traffic on the other side of the walkway just to move around you. Just because you finished your last class of the day and are home free does not mean that you can become a barrier for everyone else to rush around to get to their next class.

2. People walking on the wrong side of the walkway

Do I even need to explain this one? What made you see everyone walking in the opposite direction and think “this is the right way to go”?

3. Bikers

Ohhh, the bikers. I will say that biking around campus is effective and eco-friendly, but PLEASE do not be that person that wedges their way through traffic on the sidewalk. There are bike lanes on the roads for a reason, please use them.

4. Chatty Cathys

Yes, your social life is important, but please don’t talk about it in front of me when I’m walking. I don’t care about your latest diet trend and how Brad from Delta hasn’t texted you back yet–I’m trying to get to class. Along with this, if you’re walking with 2 or more people, don’t walk in a horizontal line. It’s annoying for people walking past you because you have to awkwardly figure out which one of you is going to move. And let me tell you, if you’re the one blocking the whole walkway, it’s not going to be me.

5. Pedestrians

As much as pedestrians joke about how getting hit by a car would “be a blessing” and “pay for their tuition”, please use some sort of common sense when crossing the road. If I am driving and clearly waiting for you to go, GO. Do not awkwardly stand there because if you are I’m going to take my opportunity to go and then look like the bad guy. Also, if I’m clearly there first and about to go DO NOT walk out in front of me. Remember that at a 4-way stop, it’s a rotation. I go, you go. Do NOT break this system. If there’s a clear gap in people walking, do not be that end straggler–wait 5 more seconds to let the next car can go. We’re trying to get to class just as much as you are.

Hello! My name is Kelsi and I am from Boyne City, Michigan, a small town in the northern LP. I am a sophomore majoring in Communication Sciences and Disorders (Speech Pathology) with minors in Child Development and Spanish. Currently, I am a member of CMU's Honors Program, the Alpha Phi chapter of Sigma Sigma Sigma, and CMU's Volunteer Center. I love going to coffee shops, spending time with my friends and family, binge-watching Netflix, and Taco Bell. A fun fact is that I was a Girl Scout for over 10 years (!!) and know how much of an impact women can have when they set goals and fuel the fire inside themselves to fulfill their passions.