This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at C Mich chapter.

When you hear people explaining their study abroad experience you are bound to hear how amazing and life changing it was. When deciding to study abroad I never knew what people meant when they said it changed them, or how they viewed things differently after being abroad. After experiencing the endless things Italy had to offer for six weeks, I completely understood what people had told me before. After being immersed in the Italian culture, traveling to neighboring countries, tasting incomparable food to meeting people from around the world, studying abroad in Italy was exactly what people raved it would be and so much more.

1. Stepping out of your comfort zone

Studying aboard can be a scary thing, but there is no better time to step out of your comfort zone then during your college years. If given the opportunity — DO IT. Having to figure out money, directions and transportation while across the world will surely throw you out of your comfort zone but that’s a good thing! It’s an amazing feeling when you feel like you’ve tackled how to navigate around a foreign city with no problems.

2. Food

When some people think of Italy, pasta or pizza most likely come into thought. No one will ever understand how delicious the pizza and pasta is in Italy until they’ve tried it. One thing I couldn’t help but notic,e meal after meal, is how fresh it is. As much as I love Dominos and Papa Johns, nothing will compare to the freshness that Italian foods have to offer.

3. Culture

While studying abroad, it is a must to explore all corners of the city you reside in. You never know what hidden gems you may come across. Getting lost on the streets of a foreign country is the best way to embrace your surroundings while emerging yourself in the culture around you. While in Florence, Italy, it was difficult to turn a corner without seeing or hearing live music. The streets are constantly full of life with things you could never see in the States.

4. Meeting People From Around The World

Whether you go abroad with friends or by yourself, you will meet people from all around the world. Aside from people making fun of our American accents, it was so fun meeting people from all over and learning about their life. It’s so much fun being across the world with a group of your friends from home, but that doesn’t mean you can’t meet and form friendships with people from different countries.

5. Travel!

While in Europe you should take advantage of being so close to numerous other countries. Flights from country to country within Europe usually are not as expensive as you would think, and it is 100% worth the travel. Whether its Paris, Dublin, or Barcelona, the places in reach of traveling while abroad are endless.

There is no way to put into words how amazing studying abroad is and I know anyone who has can agree. From exploring the city of Florence, to taking a boat ride along the coast of Croatia to sitting on the lawn in front of the Eiffel tower, being abroad often times seemed like a dream that I never wanted to wake up from. If you are able to study abroad, don’t pass up the opportunity. It’s an experience you won’t understand until you’ve done it yourself.