The 5 Keys to Unlocking the Best College Years of Your Life!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at C Mich chapter.

Remember the song, “I Love College” by Asher Roth? The song that talks about all the reasons Roth loved college, such as the booze and wild parties? If not, the song focuses on the party lifestyle of college from getting wasted to passing out, then waking up and doing it all over again. While for some college is an everlasting party, for others it’s a costly opportunity to gain more knowledge about the profession they want to work in, get a degree, and walk across stage with their diploma. Nevertheless, college can still be fun. 15 years from now, you and your friends can sit around the table laughing about those “When I was in college…” memories. It just requires strategizing. College is what you make it, so make the most out of your college years with these tips below:

Tip #1: Have fun and don’t lock yourself in your room

During the week you’ll spend most of your time with your heads in your books studying for an exam, but you still have time to do something fun. Every week, there are several events and programs students can attend for free. Get out of your dorm room or apartment, get some fresh air and go to one of the events sponsored by the school’s program board.

When the weekend comes, instead of staying inside and stuffing your mouth with popcorn while watching re-runs of your favorite show, put on your party dress and go out with a group of friends. Dance the night away or hit up a new spot in town and talk about how you’re so ready for this semester to be over so you can give your brain a rest.

Tip #2: Join different organizations and socialize

You know the saying, “College is where you meet some of your closest friends?” Well, you don’t meet people by only going to class and coming straight home. Get involved and join different Registered Student Organizations (RSOs) on campus. There is something for everybody from aspiring writers to people that like to act, to people that are fascinated with the Harry Potter series. There is also the possibility of joining a sorority or fraternity and being involved in the Greek community. So what are you waiting for? Google Central Michigan’s RSOs and turn a stranger into a friend.

Tip #3: Volunteer and make a difference

Let’s be honest, no one spends all of their time studying when class is over. Why not use some of the free time you have to give back and volunteer? Not only will lending a helping hand to someone brighten his or her day, but it can also brighten yours! What employer doesn’t like to hire a person who gives back to the community? Get involved in alternative breaks or volunteer at programs that need student assistance.

Tip #4: Study Abroad

In college, you not only have extra time to volunteer, but more time to take advantage of the opportunities offered from your campus. One of those opportunities is studying abroad. Central Michigan offers students the chance to take classes across the globe while coming in contact with people from different cultures and backgrounds.

It is a trip that will change you for the better and give you a whole new perspective on your life.  Worried about the price? There are plenty of scholarships students can apply for to assist them in paying the overall cost. Expand your horizons and go on an adventure of a lifetime before graduating college.

Tip #5: Don’t forget why you’re here 

It’s true, you are supposed to have fun in college, and there is no harm in going to parties and having a good time. However, don’t forget why you came to college, or more importantly why you took out a loan or two to pay for it.

If you’re only spending your time skipping class, being a party animal or trying to be the beer pong champion of the night, you’re setting yourself up for failure, especially when finals week rolls around. Academics should come first because at the end of the day you’re not going to get a degree from chugging the most beer, but by passing classes and taking care of business. 

Charnae Sanders is a sophomore at Central Michigan University majoring in the field of journalism. The Detroit native was a 2012 Lem Tucker Journalism Scholarship winner and has interned with The Detroit Free Press and The Wall Street Journal: Classroom Online Edition. She is currently the Editor of the Food & Beverage section of Grand Central Magazine and a former reporter of CMU’s Central Michigan Life. Charnae hopes to write for a professional magazine after graduating from CMU. In addition, she would also like to write and publish her own novels and poetry. She calls writing her passion and is fascinated with the art of storytelling. When this Aquarius isn’t busy working on articles or studying for an exam, you can find her cheering on her favorite sports teams or singing along to Taylor Swift and Beyoncé.