5 Creative Ways to Ask Someone to Be Your Valentine

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at C Mich chapter.

If you’ve still been waiting for a crush or someone you admire to ask you to be their Valentine, why not take matters in your own hands? There are only a couple days left until the most romantic holiday on Earth pops up. Use any of the five methods below to hopefully get someone to say “yes” to being your valentine.

1. Write it out on the chalkboard in his class

Let’s face it hiring someone in a plane to skywrite “Be My Valentine” is a bit pricey for a college student. Instead, why not write it out on the chalkboard of that special someone’s class? You can even get creative and use different color chalk and draw cheesy pictures of hearts. Not only does this show courage and confidence, but it will make him look like a total jerk if he says no.

2. Pass a note in class

Remember those days you passed notes in middle school? Relive the past by writing a note asking your crush to be your valentine. Make sure to leave room for the person to check the “Yes” or a “I thought you never ask” box. This approach will not only look sweet and innocent but will allow you to get an answer without the awkward and nervous Goosebumps.

3. Request a shout-out on the radio

If you’re school has a radio station on campus try calling in and request his favorite song as well as giving him a shout-out and asking him to be your valentine. Get approval from the station in advance. When you know the time you’ll be able to make the shout-out, make sure he’ll be listening to the station then. This approach will work great by surprising him and catching him off guard. Having his song play next is also a great final touch.

4. Surprise him at dinner

Whether you’re eating dinner with your crush in your apartment or at a restaurant, find a sneaky way to put a note in a dish or on the plate to ask him to be your valentine. Though the technique seems cliché and typical, it is still a sweet approach that surprises people. You can even get humorous and say, “Be my valentine or I won’t put anything on for the bill.”

5. Write him a poem or love letter

Instead of just typically assuming you’ll be each other’s valentines, ask him through poetry or a sweet letter. You can write him a short and simple piece and slide it underneath his door. You can get creative by handwriting the note and spraying his favorite fragrance on the envelope. To accept the request, you can have him even write you a letter back with an answer.

Charnae Sanders is a sophomore at Central Michigan University majoring in the field of journalism. The Detroit native was a 2012 Lem Tucker Journalism Scholarship winner and has interned with The Detroit Free Press and The Wall Street Journal: Classroom Online Edition. She is currently the Editor of the Food & Beverage section of Grand Central Magazine and a former reporter of CMU’s Central Michigan Life. Charnae hopes to write for a professional magazine after graduating from CMU. In addition, she would also like to write and publish her own novels and poetry. She calls writing her passion and is fascinated with the art of storytelling. When this Aquarius isn’t busy working on articles or studying for an exam, you can find her cheering on her favorite sports teams or singing along to Taylor Swift and Beyoncé.