3 Ways to Get Through Valentine’s Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at C Mich chapter.

3 Ways to Get Through Valentine’s Day

With Valentine’s Day quickly approaching, the single girl’s annual “Ode to Loneliness” will soon be making its rounds around the social media-sphere. And if it hasn’t hit home already, perhaps it will soon. Let’s face it, most people dread this Hallmark holiday because they may not have someone special in their lives to share in the sugary-sweet overhaul. Well, take a step back, and breathe. I’m here to assure you that being alone on this day is nothing to worry about. In fact, here are some things that can help you realize that being single, especially on Valentine’s Day, isn’t so bad.

You’re Young

Remember, you’re only in college; you’re in your prime right now. After all, these are supposed to be the best four-or in some cases five- best years of your life. This is the time to be carefree and make mistakes, especially with your dating lives. Use all that extra time you’re not stressing out about the perfect outfit-shoe-hair-do combination to take advantage of opportunities that you wouldn’t necessarily have while in a relationship. Take the free Zumba class, visit the art display, watch bad television with friends, play video games, go all out!

No Rush

Let’s be honest – there is no pressure to find your soul-mate while in college, so why hurry to find “the one” today? You only have a few years to enjoy the awesome experience that is college. Why not make the absolute most of it during this time? Trust me: you’ll have time to deal with real-world things after you graduate. Worry about the things that matter now first, like completing your schoolwork, developing your career skills, and building life-long friendships. I’m pretty sure that’s why we’re all here, right? Enjoy these days of taking things as they come; they might not exist in a few years.

Freedom

Single people only have to answer to one person: themselves! Without a significant other, you never have to explain yourself to anyone for any reason. Feel like heading out to a movie with a friend? Go ahead. There aren’t any date nights to ruin or “hanging in the dorm” plans to interfere with that. Feel like flirting with the hottie in your chemistry lab? Do it. A lot. Flirting is your best friend when you’re single. Seriously. Again, having such freedom is ephemeral. One day, you’ll have obligations to your partner – or to your boss, parents, etc. – so why not take advantage of being able to do what you want when you want while you still have it?

There are several other reasons to celebrate singleness on this holiday. These helpful tips will also come in handy any other day of the year you just need a little self-confidence booster, and reassure you of all things great in your life. If nothing else, revel in knowing that when you buy those heart-shaped chocolates, you don’t have to share. 

Gabi is a junior from Chicago, Illinois studying Advertising with minors in Journalism and Spanish. She is an active member of the Phi Sigma Sigma sorority. Gabi is a sports fanatic, as well as a fashion enthusiast. She hopes to work in the fashion industry while living in the Windy City. 
Annie is a junior at Central Michigan University from Plymouth, Mi.  She is majoring in Integrative Public Relations with a minor in Leadership.  Annie is an active member in her sorority Phi Sigma Sigma holding numerous positions within the chapter.  She has a love for travel, food and pets and looks forward to an internship abroad Summer 2013.  Annie loves writing for Her Campus and cannot wait to see this chapter grow to be such a great success! :)